The latest Philips SOX lamps

Topics related to lamps of all types, shapes, sizes and colours!
SuperSix
Favourite Manufacturer: Fitzgerald
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Mercury Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: BTH 200W Carbon Filament Lamp

The latest Philips SOX lamps

Postby SuperSix » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:15 am

I'm sure some of you know, the production of Philips SOX lamps has been getting a bit sloppy lately, I've been having a look at some of the latest ones and they're absolutely dreadful!

Every lamp out of a box of 18Ws I looked at looked completely different! Some had almost totally black discharge tubes coated in sodium, some had sodium around the electrodes, some had a ridiculously thick oxide coating giving the lamp a fogged up appearance, some had a very uneven oxide coating with streaks in it, some had next to no getter in the base of the lamp, some had a ridiculous amount of getter in them extending far beyond where it should do and most had a combination of these things!

What the ***** are they playing at? Lamps of that quality aren't going to be any good at all!

Jack_T
Favourite Manufacturer: Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent lighting

Re: The latest Philips SOX lamps

Postby Jack_T » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:02 am

And they're UK made! What the hell is happening to lighting?!

sailormoon01uk

Postby sailormoon01uk » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:36 am

Good Question, it seems that they dont give a care on the quality of SOX lamps No More, even the Philips Made OSRAM SOX lamps are the same, when they used to be Made in Shaw in Manchester they liik great, and a intrigite piece of engineering, but since they closed the factory down and move the SOX production to Hamilton they went downhill.

P.S do GE make SOX lamps as I haven't seen them for a few years now

All the Best

Colin

Danny
Favourite Manufacturer: GEC
Area of interest: Street lights fluorescent discharge
Oldest item: 120v 60w carbon lamp 1905

Postby Danny » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:03 am

OH GOD!!! this is getting worse!!! How the hell do they get away with this???

@Colin, as far as I know GE SOX Lamps are no longer made... Could be wrong though???

LinearSLI-H
Favourite Manufacturer: PHILIPS and VOSSLOH SCHWABE
Area of interest: HID and Associated control gear
Oldest item: Philips 160W MBT/U 1951

Postby LinearSLI-H » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:16 pm

I`m in the process in using one of those boxes of 18watts Osrams made by Philips, Like Eliot says, they are, (or look like), their thrown together, however they seem to be doing well at the minute, without any early fails yet!
FEED THE MOOMIN!!

Kev
Favourite Manufacturer: Atlas and CourtneyPope
Area of interest: Discharge and Fluorescent

Postby Kev » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:59 pm

No GE no longer make SOX. The boxes of PSG lamps i got that were made earlier this year seemed OK??

sailormoon01uk

Postby sailormoon01uk » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:23 pm

Again Old reliable technology being Phased out for HF Crap i't hard to imagine back in the 1960/70's most Lamp manufacturers were supplying SOX from AEI to Wotan, today theree is only Crompton, OSRAM GmbH, Philips, and Sylvania who make/supply SOX lamps, it would be ashame after 80 years or so that SOX Lamps would be completely Phased Out especially as they are the most energy Efficient Light source on the Market to Date.

All the Best

Colin

frutas
Favourite Manufacturer: gec and philips
Area of interest: Street lighting
Oldest item: Siemens Sieray MB/V

Postby frutas » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:56 pm

This box avoid like the plague :
sox1.jpg

This box - they are still reasonably recent, but not so bad and the coating seems clearer:
sox2.jpg

I got a 36W SOX-E in the former and it was awful with scratches and a cloudy coating. Just received a 66W SOX-E in the latter box and its great - clear and neatly made.

Kev
Favourite Manufacturer: Atlas and CourtneyPope
Area of interest: Discharge and Fluorescent

Postby Kev » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:22 am

Hi Colin, As far as i know these days only Philips make SOX lamps. If any other manufactures supply them they will be Philips made anyway just re branded!

LinearSLI-H
Favourite Manufacturer: PHILIPS and VOSSLOH SCHWABE
Area of interest: HID and Associated control gear
Oldest item: Philips 160W MBT/U 1951

Postby LinearSLI-H » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:05 am

GE should have kept on making them, I have a GE SOX18, in my dads outside light, on 4 years and counting now.
FEED THE MOOMIN!!

Tom
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Pre 1993 Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: One of a few pip top lamps!

Postby Tom » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:24 pm

Well this is a very far cry from the superbly made SOX lamps I've encountered in the past! Just look at that old Philips 18w I've got. It's a masterpiece! Perhaps Philips have gone all complacent in being the only one making SOX lamps now?

Those of you who may own any 'Sloppy SOX' maybe we could have some side by side comparison pics on the gallery of the new alongside the proper lamps from the good old days?
I LOVE LAMP!

Globe Collector
Favourite Manufacturer: General Electric Company of England
Area of interest: High Intensity Discharge Lamps_ Lamp Chemistry_Spe

Postby Globe Collector » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:39 am

Just a word from the Antipodes...
Here in Tasmania we used to use "lots" of SOX lamps, mostly 90 and 135 watt ones made by Philips or G.E.C.
They were used over Zebra Crossings and to light the yards of Tasmanian Hospitals and Aged Care facilities, however compared to the UK, with SOX lamps all along its motorways and in suburbs, our use was feeble. Older lamps, such as SLI and SO types are exceedingly rare here.
In the early 1990s the Hydro Electric Commission (now broken up into Aurora Energy, Transend and H.E.C. Power), trialled SOX-18s in some surburban streets in Howrah, Hobart. They were in Philips Kombi Luminares. They never took off, but you still occasionly see SOX-18s as security lights.
In Melbourne, in the suburb of Brunswick, Philips SOX180s used to be used in trough like luminares slung on wires over Sydney Road. They used to swing about in the beeze, how the sodium never splattered all over the electrodes is mystery.
Almost all of these are gone now, all replaced by SON, elliptical bulb with a diffusing coating, can be used in the same fitting as mercury lamps, but require different control gear. 2/ SON / HPS lamps.">SON-T, tubular clear hard glass for floodlighting. 3/ SON-TD, tubular double ended clear quartz, the length and cap are equivalent to those of tungsten halogen lamps.">high pressure sodium lamps in Sylvania Optispan Luminares. A few SOX 90s still hang on at the rear of what was the Douglas Parker Rehabilitation Centre, in Tower Road, New Town, these are the last Low Pressure Sodium Lamps in Service in Tasmania.
There also used to be SLI-H Linear lamps in the sodaberg anode room at the Comalco Bell Bay Aluminium Smelter at the northern end of the Island, but they are probably long gone. I saw them in 1987.

chanceskydiver

Postby chanceskydiver » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:19 am

do have various Osram, GE, other and Philips best do think is Osram worst would definately say Philips. have found the quality of of Philips very poor

Bluto
Favourite Manufacturer: Thorn Lighting
Area of interest: Everything esp cold cathode + neon signs etc

Postby Bluto » Wed May 02, 2012 4:16 am

I guess all of You guys already know what I am about to say here , but just wanted to say this on this thread having always been a lover of SOX lamps.
Yes , its a great shame the way the quality of SOX lamps has gone down , not just recently , but really in the last 10 to 15 years.
My favorite SOXes , (and not just in my opinion but in my experience of using a great number of these lamps over the years) were the "true" Thorn lamps (the ones with brass caps with the branding embossed into the brass). In practice these were without doubt the very best SOXes ever made , certainly with respect to life expectancy. I have several examples of these that lasted 8 and 9 years all night burning every night . One lamp, installed at my Dads house in 1987 , burning all night every night , was still going strong in 1995 (until the installation was changed), and hardly blackened. The lamp is still good / working though "retired" now. I doubt any SOX made after 1997 / 1998 would even last half as long as those old Thorn lamps.
The next best SOXes were the GEC "Supersox" lamps .(these were still available in the late 80s) Again these would often last around 7 or 8 years all night burning in street lighting service. The same lamps were occasionally found bearing the Wotan name too .
My personal favorite lamps were (are) the first GE badged lamps that appeared around 1991 / 1992. I just think these were beautiful lamps . They had creamy white plastic caps with a goldy coloured brass collar and rounded top end. Essentially these were the same as the original Thorn lamps but with a GE badge.
The last really well made SOXes were the red-cap Philips SOX Plus lamps of around 1996 / 1997. (These are identified as having a metal clip and cup supporting the U-bend of the arc tube) . These lamps , again , would easily last 5 or 6 years all night burning in street lights.
The rot set in and the quality went down when Philips started to use a mica disc supporting the arc tube U-bend (by its tip-off). From then on the lamps would only manage 2 or 3 years at best (all night burning) and other factors suffered such as quality of electrodes , etc. It was around then (late 90s) that the dreaded blackening problem first appeared on a large scale too (which, incidentally had never been a problem until then). At this time GE lamps were suffering from quality problems too , most notably electrodes burning out causing short life.
SO - as most of you guys will know anyway - if you need a good SOX lamp that will last , get an old (new old stock) one!
I personally have a small stash of the old Thorn and GE lamps , GEC Supersoxes and a good quantity of 1995 Philips SOX Plus (which incidentally were the first red-cap SOX Plus lamps to appear - and good they were). Ive also got a quantity of Cromptons from around 1977 / 78 , which were actually Philips manufactured. Like most of us collectors though I am getting loathed to use any of my good old lamps and would rather buy poor quality newer ones to actually use x lol x! This is a bit daft I know ,and kind of defies the point of having a stash of the good old ones , but I am sure you all know what Im talking about !! xx

Jeremy

Return to “Lamps”