Questions: SRS instant start and tube banding

Topics related to lamps of all types, shapes, sizes and colours!
WHERESTHECUEBALLGOIN
Oldest item: Cryselco Carbon

Questions: SRS instant start and tube banding

Postby WHERESTHECUEBALLGOIN » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:24 pm

removed
Last edited by WHERESTHECUEBALLGOIN on Mon May 28, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent battens and Thorn Vintage
Oldest item: 1890's Carbon Lamp

Re: Questions: SRS instant start and tube banding

Postby Paul » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:05 pm

Is the cap the correct rating for the circuit? I imagine that would have an effect on the starting... I have noticed that on my SRS fittings, new tubes usually start instantly like they do on SS and tend to only do the classic SRS start up when warmed up. Is it because the lamp is warm or because the cap is fully charged? Older lamps don't tend to instant start.
As for banding, yes you do get banding on HF, some quite nice banding on T5s... and I have seen banding on tubes with cathode shields and the tube, whether it has guards or not is usually a long hours burner without many switching cycles.

(Edited my post as I'm not sure I was decipherable!!!)

WHERESTHECUEBALLGOIN

Postby WHERESTHECUEBALLGOIN » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:17 pm

removed
Last edited by WHERESTHECUEBALLGOIN on Mon May 28, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slyspark
Favourite Manufacturer: GEC
Area of interest: Surrey Streetlighting
Oldest item: Bleeco Hastings open refractor

Postby Slyspark » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:30 pm

I tend to find that new tubes start instantly on SRS more often than not. As the tube ages, it then tends to adopt the classic SRS fade in over a few seconds. I have a 4' 40w SRS batten over my desk, this has a lovely old Ascot branded daylight tube in it and this always takes a few seconds to start. If I replace it with a brand new tube, it's instant every time. Same goes for the 5' SRS above my workbench, new tubes are instantly on, older ones fade in. Don't know if this helps.

And as Paul states above, I've also seen tubes band up nicely on HF gear. Shielded tubes also band, but often not to the same degree as shielded ones do, you also don't tend to see those classic 'tear drops' or the little viewing windows that burn into the phosphor on shielded tubes, like you used to see with older, unshielded tubes.
It's not lost, I just can't find it!

Paul
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent battens and Thorn Vintage
Oldest item: 1890's Carbon Lamp

Postby Paul » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:09 pm

Indeed Slyspark... the teardrops usually appear at the ends of the cathodes, near the supports. As these are enclosed by the shield, that effect is eliminated. It's almost like a hotspot is created at the point where the cathode meets the support and this slowly burns away the phosphor. The shield forms a barrier...

WHERESTHECUEBALLGOIN

Postby WHERESTHECUEBALLGOIN » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:50 pm

removed

Return to “Lamps”