The Philips CorePro LED PLC Lamp

Topics related to lamps of all types, shapes, sizes and colours!
Paul
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent battens and Thorn Vintage
Oldest item: 1890's Carbon Lamp

The Philips CorePro LED PLC Lamp

Postby Paul » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:06 pm

Thought this was an interesting development; discuss!!
PLC.jpg
(3.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet

The Philips CorePro LED PLC lamp integrates a LED light source into a traditional fluorescent form factor. This product is the ideal solution for uplamping in general lighting applications: it meets basic lighting requirements, offers significant energy savings, and is environmentally friendly. This 6.5W PLC G24 lamp is available in 830 (3000K) warm white and 840 (4000K) cool white, and is equivalent to a 18W CFL lamp. Available in either a 2 pin base (G24d-2 - for existing fittings with electromagnetic (EM) gear), or in a 4 pin base (G24q-2 - for existing fittings with Ballast. Developed during the early 1980s from the low voltage transistorised ballast circuits. An entirely electronic ballast circuit that operates the tube at a frequency of several thousand hertz, hence the name. Types include programmed start that preheat the tube for a predetermined time, instant start and dimmable types that work from either 0-10v control signals or a simple push button switch. Reliability issues have been known due to complex circuitry or poor qu">high frequency (HF) gear). Or the fitting can be rewired directly to mains. It can deliver huge energy savings (>60%) and with a rated lifetime of 30,000 hours, minimises maintenance costs without any compromise on light quality. Made of shatter-proof plastic instead of glass. Instant 100% light. No flickering or stroboscopic light

Re-using the existing fixture without major modifications. The rotating end-cap feature makes it easy to direct light to precisely where you want it. You can turn the lamp from -45° to +90°, ensuring maximum compatibility with the design of any luminaire. So you can optimise light distribution and use it to best effect where it’s needed most.

Philips Corepro LED PLC 8.5W=26W (2pin) and 9W=26W (4Pin) also available

Product data

• General Characteristics
- Cap Base G24d or G24q
- Average Lifetime 30000 hr

• Electrical Characteristics
- Wattage Technical 6.5W
- Dimmable No

• Light Technical Characteristics (depends on selected variation)
- Colour Code WW, CW
- Colour Designation Warm White, Cool White
- Beam Angle 120D
- Correlated Colour Temperature 830 (3000K), or 840 (4000K)
- Colour rendering index 83
- Luminous Intensity: 600lm (3000K), 650lm (4000K)

• Product Dimensions
- Width: 24.3mm x 28.4mm
- Overall Length: 140mm (105mm installed)

• Product Data
- Full product code: 6.5W/830/2-pin: 54127200, 6.5W/840/2-pin: 54129600, 6.5W/830/4-pin: 929001201002, 6.5W/840/4-pin: 929001201102

Tom
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Pre 1993 Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: One of a few pip top lamps!

Re: The Philips CorePro LED PLC Lamp

Postby Tom » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:27 pm

It's kind of sad that Philips have designed an LED replacement for the very lamps they invented!

But on the other hand, all credit to Philips for developing lamps that are compatible with existing gear including HF and emergency without modification! That would've taken some pretty serious circuitry development for a lamp to work on HF or the output of an EM inverter! Perhaps there's some form of resistance across the pairs of pins that simulates the cathode filaments whilst the rest of the circuitry cleverly regulates the HF output to drive the diodes therefore fooling the HF ballast into thinking it's running a proper lamp?

Whilst everyone has been rushing to get the most horrendous CFL and LFL LED retrofits to market, often requiring the gear to be bypassed and running 240v straight to the lampholders (always been a big concern of mine) Philips were beavering away on something up to the job! They just need to work on, dare I say it, an LED SOX retrofit now!
I LOVE LAMP!

LinearSLI-H
Favourite Manufacturer: PHILIPS and VOSSLOH SCHWABE
Area of interest: HID and Associated control gear
Oldest item: Philips 160W MBT/U 1951

Postby LinearSLI-H » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:54 am

Well Friday mornings, first thing visit, to the Electric Center, I walked in and there was NO lights on in the shop.
I found Jordan up a ladder fitting what looked like a small metal `box` with aG24q 4 pin base, into the display lights "these are our LED retrofit for 18watt PLC lamps", he proudly announced!

About 4 hours later I went back, (for more earth clamps), and all the PLC were put back in?
"What happend then?", I asked, "They were *****, 6 didn`t work, and I got a shock of one"!!, he told me, "So I gave it up as a bad joke"! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Excellent start!

I hope Philips have done a slightly better job than China Joe!
FEED THE MOOMIN!!

Paul
ATL Admin

Postby Paul » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:48 am

Hahaha! That's hilarious!
Thing is, when did the flood of cheap rubbish start coming in from China?
'Back in the day', I don't remember seeing cheap ripoffs of lamps like the 2D, PL, etc or even seeing nasty cheap CFLs. Am I remembering it as it was?!

Slyspark
Favourite Manufacturer: GEC
Area of interest: Surrey Streetlighting
Oldest item: Bleeco Hastings open refractor

Postby Slyspark » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:46 pm

On a serious note, gotta be careful with some of these retro-fit LED lamps - I got a belt off a linear LED replacement tube once, the aluminium back section was at mains voltage! Shocking - literally! I'll always re-lamp fluorescent fittings with the power on, but I won't touch an LED retrofit lamp with any metal exposed on it whilst it's on. Learned that the hard way. makes re-lamping jobs much longer.
It's not lost, I just can't find it!

Paul
ATL Admin

Postby Paul » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:47 pm

Don't blame you!
I read today in the rags that there is now a dedicated SOX LED replacement lamp on the market. :o

Return to “Lamps”