Hatred for Filament Striplights!

Topics related to lamps of all types, shapes, sizes and colours!
SuperSix
Favourite Manufacturer: Fitzgerald
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Mercury Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: BTH 200W Carbon Filament Lamp

Hatred for Filament Striplights!

Postby SuperSix » Thu May 26, 2011 5:01 pm

Now these are lamps I particularly dislike, the outdated incandescent striplight lamps! I'm quite shocked to see that many domestic fittings are still produced that take these lamps when better performing alternatives have been around for decades!

The light output is pathetically low compared to the power consumption, the colour temperature is so low that blues appear dull and everything turns a sickly yellow colour, the average life is very short (1000 Hours), they give out quite a lot of heat and from experience seem to be rather shock sensitive! :x

I suppose initial cost is the main reason as to why they still seem popular. A cheap and nasty 30W striplight fitting with lamp can be bought for a couple of quid whereas a half decent 8W fluorescent fitting costs between £5 and £10. The 8W fluorescent produces more than twice the light output of the 30W striplight for less than half the power consumption though with gear losses included! These should have become extinct decades ago!

Does anyone else share this hatred for them? :twisted:

Tom
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Pre 1993 Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: One of a few pip top lamps!

Re: Hatred for Filament Striplights!

Postby Tom » Thu May 26, 2011 5:16 pm

Oh yes! Hate the sodding things! Even those plastic T4 fittings are better so I fitted one in our shaver light around 3 years ago when the 60w tube failed!

An fellow DJ I used to know had a pair of light panels with 8 x 30w coloured striplights in star formations running on a 4 channel sound chaser. The lacquered lamps cost a fortune and he was changing them almost every gig!
I LOVE LAMP!

Paul
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent battens and Thorn Vintage
Oldest item: 1890's Carbon Lamp

Postby Paul » Thu May 26, 2011 6:21 pm

Yes, I hate them with a passion too! If there was a lamp the EU should have banned this was it!

Tom
ATL Admin

Postby Tom » Fri May 27, 2011 7:21 pm

As mentioned by Eliot, these really should have gone out with the ark! What's more, these are vacuum lamps which makes them so woefully ineffecient! However, for while now, I've been thinking about trying a 30w as an incandescent ballast for an 8 watter, but I'm too embarresed to go out and buy one LOL!

And as for the architecteral lamps, they are seriously overrated! Although I do remember the first time I saw one... It was above the organ at the local church I had to attend with my C of E primary school when I was a kid. I was rather mesmerised by this no-ended tube!
I LOVE LAMP!

SuperSix
Favourite Manufacturer: Fitzgerald
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Mercury Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: BTH 200W Carbon Filament Lamp

Postby SuperSix » Fri May 27, 2011 7:51 pm

I never knew they were still vacuum lamps, dear me! It would be quite interesting using one as a ballast for a small 8W lamp, you'd struggle to find a tube that matches the really low colour temperature of these though. I've noticed some manufacturers have started producing LED retrofits for them which do actually match the lumen output of the tubes they replace unlike the retrofits for fluorescents!

The architectural lamps are slightly more interesting but as you've said but are crap performers. If you like 'no ended' tubes then you might be interested in Osram T5 Seamless tubes, then again you might not be as they're T5s :lol: ! The PDF is here: http://www.osram.com/_global/pdf/Profes ... S001GB.pdf

sailormoon01uk

Postby sailormoon01uk » Fri May 27, 2011 8:35 pm

They are have been and going to be around for a while due to old lighting installations such as Cabinet Lighting / and Picture Lighting and bars etc, also due to Fluorescent Tubes emiting UV, Fluorescent Tubes in Picture Lights are a Problem example in a Art Gallery/Museum where the UV from Fluorescent tubes can Bleach and Fade the pictures, hence why they use Indirect Lighting or fittings with UV Filters fitted and for Display/Picture lighting Incandescent or Halogen Lamps are used

Did you know there are a Low Energy, Lamps designed to replace the Incandescent Striplights, they are made in 5 watts to replace the 221mm stripight lamp, and 7 watts to replace the 284mm Striplight, Made by BELL, British Electric Lamps Ltd, see http://www.cp-lighting.co.uk/Lamps/Low- ... triplights

All the Best

Colin

Tom
ATL Admin

Postby Tom » Fri May 27, 2011 9:53 pm

Oh yes! I've seen those CFL striplights! They've got those in the picture lights in my local! And are BRIGHTER than the 30w lamps they replaced! Talking of LED my Dad decided to ditch the 30w striplight over the turntable in his hifi cabinet and there's now a rather funky LED strip in it's place. The subtle cold white light cast over the deck looks pretty awesome!

LOL I can't see those 'seamless' T5s taking off.... I see what thy've done, basically done a PL turn on the ends. This is gonna be seriously fragile! You'll break the lamp during installation!!! Look like fiddly buggers to fit too! :D
I LOVE LAMP!

Kev
Favourite Manufacturer: Atlas and CourtneyPope
Area of interest: Discharge and Fluorescent

Postby Kev » Sat May 28, 2011 10:38 pm

In one of the pubs i look after they have 8W T5 Fluorescents on switch start gear as the picture lights, Seem quite good. CEF sell low energy lamps but i think they are crap! I dont mind these filament strips in clear as they ware quite well! In that i mean they go quite black before they die! I PERSONALLY would rather use these than the T4 Fluorescents. At least you can just change the lamps in these where as the T4s just die for no reason!!

LinearSLI-H
Favourite Manufacturer: PHILIPS and VOSSLOH SCHWABE
Area of interest: HID and Associated control gear
Oldest item: Philips 160W MBT/U 1951

Postby LinearSLI-H » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:53 am

:lol: I here you all, the ones where you breath on them, and the filament breaks.
My Mum had some under here kitchen units, until I ripped them all out in favour for a 58watt T8, 5 foot tube!, colour 82.
FEED THE MOOMIN!!

Paul
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent battens and Thorn Vintage
Oldest item: 1890's Carbon Lamp

Postby Paul » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:10 am

Good lad! 8-)

LinearSLI-H
Favourite Manufacturer: PHILIPS and VOSSLOH SCHWABE
Area of interest: HID and Associated control gear
Oldest item: Philips 160W MBT/U 1951

Postby LinearSLI-H » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:14 pm

Save your prase mate, you may not like what I did to my kitchen units!! :? , I had 12 8watt T5 batterns under them, wich I removed for..........................8 11watt CFLs, Kev gave me stick :mrgreen:
FEED THE MOOMIN!!

Return to “Lamps”