Tube Extenders

Topics related to lamps of all types, shapes, sizes and colours!
Paul
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent battens and Thorn Vintage
Oldest item: 1890's Carbon Lamp

Tube Extenders

Postby Paul » Wed May 04, 2011 11:22 pm

Just when you think you've seen it all... something new comes along which you can't believe!!!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-8ft-Fluorescent-tube-extenders-pack-ten-/160580623140?pt=UK_Light_Fittings&hash=item256359db24 6ft fluorescent tube extenders, so you can put them in an 8ft fitting!!!

Kev
Favourite Manufacturer: Atlas and CourtneyPope
Area of interest: Discharge and Fluorescent

Re: Tube Extenders

Postby Kev » Sat May 07, 2011 7:42 pm

Yes i have seen these i have one at home, It was only 3.99 they appear to be made out of water pipe! I though maybe there was some sort or resistor in there? Imagine pumping 125W in to a 6' tube in a harsh enviroment they would last a matter of weeks!

Tom
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Pre 1993 Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: One of a few pip top lamps!

Postby Tom » Sun May 08, 2011 7:58 pm

Are these made by the same people who make those hiddeous T5 easy-saver adaptors? The only plus side is that fewer 8' fittings would be scrapped though. Bring back decent 8' tubes!!!
I LOVE LAMP!

Kev

Postby Kev » Sun May 08, 2011 10:20 pm

I dunno but i have a photo of one to put up here that i think was very dangerous. They dropped it in to one of the schools i look after no info no instructions and they have all HF lights anyway!

sailormoon01uk

Postby sailormoon01uk » Mon May 09, 2011 5:27 am

To be honest I think Tube extenders are a waste of time and money using, say using them to light a 5ft tube in a 8ft fitting is going to look odd, and worse if used in a fluorescent light with a diffuser is going to leave a 2 foot shadow (1ft at each end) would make the fitting unappealing in a public area/and will cast shadows at the end of the lights, if anything the best situation is to use the correct tube.

As for HF Lighting they have a lot of issues at the moment, mainly being expensive and Crappy Electronic Ballasts which fail a lit quicker than Traditional Lighting Ballasts which can last for over 50 years or more, and HF Lighting is 3 x the price to buy, replace or repair, even the T5 HF Tubes alone cost more than T8's and T12 Tubes

All the Best

Colin

Kev

Postby Kev » Mon May 09, 2011 3:32 pm

A-men colin Well said. I had a job the other day where 2 blew up in the same morning. No sooner than i had replaced the first light (removed the HF and replaced for SS) Another one went over the other side of the school. Both fittings had origonal lamps! Thats pathetic!

sailormoon01uk

Postby sailormoon01uk » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:02 am

Hi Kev

I stick to Traditional Swich Start Gear ultil they become No Longer Available, even for upgrades to keep the EU Beurocrats happy, simply switch the Glow Bottle Starters for Electronic Starters, even if they fail at least they are easyer and cheaper to replace, than a HF Ballast

All the Best

Colin

LinearSLI-H
Favourite Manufacturer: PHILIPS and VOSSLOH SCHWABE
Area of interest: HID and Associated control gear
Oldest item: Philips 160W MBT/U 1951

Postby LinearSLI-H » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:28 am

sailormoon_01_uk wrote:Hi Kev

I stick to Traditional Swich Start Gear ultil they become No Longer Available, even for upgrades to keep the EU Beurocrats happy, simply switch the Glow Bottle Starters for Electronic Starters, even if they fail at least they are easyer and cheaper to replace, than a HF Ballast

All the Best

Colin

Do the EU have an electrical comitee?, if so, I wonder if this HF issue has been raised?, and if they have taken note...........
...........maybe not...........
FEED THE MOOMIN!!

sailormoon01uk

Postby sailormoon01uk » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:05 pm

I think they just listen to the Tree Hugging MEP's (Member's of European Parlament) rather than End users, Electricians, and Lamp Manufacturer's, as I stll see Filament Lamps of 75 watts and above still listed but Not for use in the EU

All the Best

Colin

Kev

Postby Kev » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:10 pm

Rich i have tried messaging the EU about this time and time again but i have never yet had a reply, D**heads.

sailormoon01uk

Postby sailormoon01uk » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:05 pm

I don't think we will ever get a response from the EU, they enforce rules and regulations, they never respond to any questions, messages, Letter's or E-mail's, and they waffle on about what they want to hear NOT the General Public, or people like us, who are going to suffer in the Long Run, because of their Rules, I say we should pull out of the EU and we shoule make Great Britian, Great again, not to be told by some Pen Pusher in Strasburg.

Kev

Postby Kev » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:08 pm

Hi Colin I couldn't agree more. I would love to see gb made back in to GB we have no industry left....

Return to “Lamps”