Halophosphates are underrated

Topics related to lamps of all types, shapes, sizes and colours!
SuperSix
Favourite Manufacturer: Fitzgerald
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Mercury Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: BTH 200W Carbon Filament Lamp

Halophosphates are underrated

Postby SuperSix » Sun May 01, 2011 3:00 pm

This is something I will miss following the EU bans, Halophosphates! I'll admit I never used to be much of a fan of them, I always favoured Tris over Halos, better colour rendering, higher light output and they stay brighter for longer but I think they've been overlooked by me. :oops:

The trouble with all these high colour rendering lamps is that they all look the same to me, I'd say anything with a CRI of 80 plus begins to look much the same, whether it be halide, fluorescent, white SON or incandescent. There really is no other lamp that gives quite the same colour as a standard Halophosphate though! They've grown on me in recent months, especially Warm White 29. I never thought I'd of said that this time last year. :o I'd say it gives fluorescent lighting more character when the colour of the lamp really is like no other!

Tom
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Pre 1993 Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: One of a few pip top lamps!

Re: Halophosphates are underrated

Postby Tom » Sun May 01, 2011 7:55 pm

I too will miss the old halos when they go. I Never was too keen on 535 White though. Always found that a rather icky colour! Natural was one of my favourites as well as some of the deluxe halos like Northlight and Deluxe Warm White which I would have over 865 and 827 anyday! I have always been all for triphosphor tubes since the Thorn Polylux and Philips Super 80 days (anyone remember Wotan Maxilux?) but there are some situations where their light can be rather 'Agressive' whereas halo colours appear more gentle and soft, rather like Metal Halide vs Mercury Vapour.....
I LOVE LAMP!

SuperSix
Favourite Manufacturer: Fitzgerald
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Mercury Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: BTH 200W Carbon Filament Lamp

Re: Halophosphates are underrated

Postby SuperSix » Sun May 01, 2011 9:28 pm

I've never liked White 35 either, things always look awful and unfortunately it's the most efficient of the Halos and became the standard colour here unfortunately :x . Natural is one of my favourites too, bright with good colour rendering and then there's all the other deluxe colours that are around 4000K like Kolor-rite and Deluxe Natural.

I'm not entirely sure what Deluxe Warm White looks like! :o I've probably seen it before but it's not one that I remember, I'm guessing somewhat like 830 but dimmer and slightly more pinkish?

Return to “Lamps”