Only Brain washed Idiots Think 8 Foots are bad

Topics related to lamps of all types, shapes, sizes and colours!
Kev
Favourite Manufacturer: Atlas and CourtneyPope
Area of interest: Discharge and Fluorescent

Only Brain washed Idiots Think 8 Foots are bad

Postby Kev » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:34 pm

As we all know and all have heard if you go in to a wholesaler and say anything about 8 foot you normally get some guy there who has only ever changed lamps at home telling you that 8 foots are bad and frowning at you, Inefficent and they are going to be banned they cost you a fortune to run replace them with a 6 foot twin this is what they genuinely think as they have been told this by lighting reps. I think it is actually because the 8 foot fittings last so long it annoys the manufactures so they are trying to brainwash people in to thinking they are bad. They would much rather we had a new Thorn Poppak that will barely last 10 years.... As we have found out lately 8 foot are not bad at all, Infact an 8 foot 100W/840 lamp is actually very efficent with efficency up as high as 93 Lm/W Which is actually very good! I am not sure about the efficency of the 125W version however i know that the 840 125W is VERY good.
Lots of people are now removing their 8 foot fitting. There are some schools that have requested that i start removing them when i can due to the price of the lamps. This is not something i want to do but i am going to run with it simply so the replacments can be switch start. I am going to a school on monday where i am removing 2 8 foots from a classroom and replacing with Cat 2 2X70W Surface switch starts. They will be using more electric than the old 125Ws lol but this is what people seem to want! If next year Switch Start is banned by the corrupt EU i will be presurving the 8 foots. There is no way i am replacing them for HF. The fittings in these schools have covered hundreds of thousands of hours and are still going strong. Same with the 8 foots in the B&Q stores from the mid 80s! They have probably done even more hours! The T5s and HF that didnt come out til the late 90s and early 2000s are dieing all around them!
In conclusion 8 foots are good!

SuperSix
Favourite Manufacturer: Fitzgerald
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Mercury Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: BTH 200W Carbon Filament Lamp

Re: Only Brain washed Idiots Think 8 Foots are bad

Postby SuperSix » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:23 pm

Completely agree with you Kev! I bet there's still some BC 125W fittings with adapters somewhere still working!

The 125w 840 still achieves 80 Lm/W and the 85W 840 is 87 Lm/W so they're still good too.

I've been thinking, if they have 8' T8s in the US then why can't one of the manufacturers try to reinvent the 8' energy saver here but in a 1 inch diameter? I still don't really see why Thorn couldn't have done this back in the day! I bet if Thorn could have made the energy saver 8' in a T8 they would be everywhere these days!

Tom
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Pre 1993 Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: One of a few pip top lamps!

Postby Tom » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:13 am

I'm agreeing on this too! Some sparky told me back in '98 that 8 footers were old hat and that 6' 70w T8s on HF was where it's at! HF seemed a good idea back then LOL!

There's one factory I sometimes deliver to which has 30 odd 8' Atlas Superslims on trunking still going and never missing a beat! And there was the hall at the Nuffield hospital social club where I used to play which had 2 rows of 10 Superslims running 125w Thorn Kolor-Rites! They were a joy to fire up at the end of the night!! :D
Long live 8 footers!
I LOVE LAMP!

XmasLightGuy
Area of interest: Linear Fluorescent

Postby XmasLightGuy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:33 pm

I'm seeing the same type of thing here, Its not uncommon for 8-foot fixtures to be replaced by 2 4-footers (they even make an 8-foot fixture that's basically 2 4-footers together) ... now weather lighting reps/wholesalers/etc are saying bad things about 8' i don't know.

When I see 8' that has been converted from T12 to T8, I think "at least its still 8-foot" :)

Tom
ATL Admin

Postby Tom » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:27 pm

I've seen good old 8' fittings replaced with 8' T5 fittings which are 2 x 28w tubes end to end and they look pretty naff! What's even worse are those awful 8' T5 converters with the same arrangement! They are no match for a proper 8' 840 tube despite half the power consumption!

@supersix I'd love to see T8 100w 8' tubes! Imagine an 8' Arrowslim! 8-)
I LOVE LAMP!

XmasLightGuy

Postby XmasLightGuy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:49 am

I've never seen an 8' fixture swapped out for 2 4' T5's
If such thing as an 8' T5 exists that'd be kinda cool in a way...just it'd be so long & thin

Kev

Postby Kev » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:34 am

@Xmaslightguy a local company to me make them called fitzgerald. It is not that thin. they litterly get a 8 foot shell and lash 2 T5 lamps to it. The do them in 2x28w and 2x54w as direct replacments for 8 foots....Id rather have the 8 foots myself!"

XmasLightGuy

Postby XmasLightGuy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:21 pm

@kevxsi16v Is it some sort of adaptor/mod type thing where you still use the existing fixture/fitting?
do they run the 2 4-footers in series on a single ballast?

Using one of those little adapter things (or the retrofit lampholders & a T5 ballast) either way a T5 would look pretty ridiculous in fitting meant for T12 lamps - especially if it was something like a vintage half-piper :shock: (but that'd at least be better than replacing a beautiful vintage fitting some dull boring striplight). You would always have the "undo" option :) LOL

Tom
ATL Admin

Postby Tom » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:21 pm

I would bet any money that if all the big supermarkets had kept their old 8 footers they would almost all still be alive and lighting! The original Thorn clipper was one of the favourites amongst stores like Tesco and Sainsburys. The Asda near us had a refit a few years back and the suspended ceiling was pulled down to reveal a load of old 8' twin switch start Pop Packs still with Thorn EMI tubes in them!
I LOVE LAMP!

Kev

Postby Kev » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:04 pm

Nice i bet loads would work if fired back up again! Are they still up there with a new ceiling hung below them??

Paul
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent battens and Thorn Vintage
Oldest item: 1890's Carbon Lamp

Postby Paul » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:51 pm

No - when they ripped down the old ceiling, they didn't put up a new one. They used Philips light trunking. So, all the PP were pulled down and skipped I expect.
What's more tragic is when they put up the ceiling previously (the one they took down), they circular sawed most of the fittings to fit the ceiling framework!! :shock:

XmasLightGuy

Postby XmasLightGuy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:15 am

Its really sad when you see or hear about stuff like this.

Kev

Postby Kev » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:46 am

How ruff. That is sad when anyone in the lighting industry knows that those old Clippers would out last both sets of new lights as they were probably all HF. Well saying that, Thorn tubes in the clippers? That means that the new ceiling was put in in 1992 ish. they would of been switch start back then,Maybe there has been 3 sets of lights after the clippers? Big super markets have way too much money

Return to “Lamps”