Intoduction of triphosphor tubes?

Topics related to lamps of all types, shapes, sizes and colours!
Tom
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Pre 1993 Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: One of a few pip top lamps!

Intoduction of triphosphor tubes?

Postby Tom » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:12 pm

Does anyone know when the first triphosphor tubes came out? It must be 30 years since Thorn's Polylux and Philips' Super 80 ranges being introduce, although they have only increased in popularity over the past 10 years or so. Can anyone verify this? Personally I have always been a big fan of triphosphor colours with thier good colour rendering, excellent lumen maintenence and pleasing appearance. I have seen the dullest of places cheered up by replacing the old halo tubes with 840s and people tend to look and feel better since these colours are much kinder to the complexion!
I LOVE LAMP!

Kev
Favourite Manufacturer: Atlas and CourtneyPope
Area of interest: Discharge and Fluorescent

Re: Intoduction of triphosphor tubes?

Postby Kev » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:46 pm

See i always like triphosphor lamps however now i feel sorry for halophosphor lamps as they have always been good too. I have some Philips 8 foots from 1984 that are older then me! I thought they were going to be 94 but according to Lee they are 84!

TL8W

Postby TL8W » Sun May 22, 2011 4:25 pm

Introduced in the 1970s.

I have a Philips TLD18W/83 made in November 1978. It certainly could not be 1988 because I bought the lamp in Germany in April 1980.

Kev

Postby Kev » Sun May 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Hi lee good to see you on here! Dont forget my recent find of the MCFE/84 From 1978!!

Tom
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Pre 1993 Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: One of a few pip top lamps!

Postby Tom » Tue May 24, 2011 7:53 pm

A TLD18W/83 from 1978! Philips must have been ahead of Thorn in this game! I never even knew T8 energy saver tubes were around back then! I would have guessed at the earliest 1980! It was triphosphor that led to the first CFLs like the SL and Thorn's 2D since these were the only phosphors that would perform in such narrow tubes!
I LOVE LAMP!

James
Favourite Manufacturer: Sylvania
Area of interest: Light Source technology

Postby James » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:46 pm

The original pioneer of triphosphor tubes was Westinghouse in USA, who marketed from the mid 1970s the so-called Prime Colour fluorescent tubes. Duro-Test also played a leading role. These new tubes emerged from a detailed study into human vision systems in which the peak sensitivities of each of the red, green and blue photoreceptors were studied, and new phosphors were developed having emission wavelengths as close as possible to the peak sensitivity of each kind of cone cell in the eye. The original intention was to develop a high efficiency tube, wasting as little light as possible at wavelengths to which the eye is less sensitive. Later towards the end of the 1970s the three phosphor components were slightly modified so as to achieve superior colour rendering at the same time as high efficacy, and a significant cost reduction as well.

Kev

Postby Kev » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:55 pm

So the 1978 Philips MCFEs i have in colour 84 are some of the earliest! T12 too!

Return to “Lamps”