Narva Quits The Fluorescent Market

Topics related to lamps of all types, shapes, sizes and colours!
Slyspark
Favourite Manufacturer: GEC
Area of interest: Surrey Streetlighting
Oldest item: Bleeco Hastings open refractor

Narva Quits The Fluorescent Market

Postby Slyspark » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:38 pm

Apparently, Narva is 'restructuring' and will no longer be producing fluorescent lamps of any kind. A real blow, as I order mine direct from Narva and they're bloody good lamps. Apparently they're going to concentrate on the LED market - explains why they've really been pushing LED every time I've ordered recently!

See. http://www.narva-bel.de for more info.

Really quite ***** off about this. How long before ALL the main lamp manufacturers go this route and all that's left are crap, unbranded Chinese imports?
It's not lost, I just can't find it!

Tom
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Pre 1993 Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: One of a few pip top lamps!

Re: Narva Quits The Fluorescent Market

Postby Tom » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:54 pm

Oh man this is NOT good news!! Just when it looked like quality tubes would stick around for a little while yet! Our only hope now is Philips keeping their production coming from Poland but that's not sounding too good either as Philips have been making noises about exiting the fluorescent market for a while now! The best T8/T5 lamps coming from China are the TCP/BELL variety.

This is bad news guys, looks like fluorescent is being slowly confided to the history books! KEEP ON COLLECTING!!!

Think it's time to 'unlike' Narva's Facebook page!
I LOVE LAMP!

Slyspark

Postby Slyspark » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:11 pm

This is a big problem for me, this is where all my lamps come from. Going to have to sort something else out and ASAP!

Kev
Favourite Manufacturer: Atlas and CourtneyPope
Area of interest: Discharge and Fluorescent

Postby Kev » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:41 am

We now only have SLI and and polish Philips as our 6' and let's be honest here the polish Philips aren't exactly fantastic!

Slyspark

Postby Slyspark » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:30 am

Beginning of the end :(

Tom
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Pre 1993 Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: One of a few pip top lamps!

Postby Tom » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:25 pm

Heartbreaking stuff. They're trying their best to get fluorescent confided to the history books by the look of things! As far as Chinese lamps go, BELL are the way forward!
I LOVE LAMP!

Slyspark

Postby Slyspark » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:56 pm

Something else that sprang to mind today, I believe Narva were the only manufacturer still making 'U' tubes (other than American ones of a different dimension). If anyone owns any fittings that use these, might be worth getting some spares in whilst you still can!

funkylamp
Favourite Manufacturer: Westinghouse Lamps
Area of interest: fluorescent-MV lighting

Postby funkylamp » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:24 am

Dont feel bad. This is been happening in US too
When Philips close fairmont plant. Now all of our
T5 lamps comes from china now. Philips 15 watt
T8 been comming from polland. Before it was comming from Holland. GE been making these
Out of china. Also GE just close a fluorescent
Lamp plant that made slimelines and RDC
Capped lamps. Now philips making those
Lamps for GE. Only thing left for GE is bi pin
T12 and T8 fluorescent manufacturing. Where
Your US made GE T8s been comming from.

It going to be a while for philips to start diitching T12s. It prolly the last T12 manufacture In the world

MissRiaElaine
Favourite Manufacturer: Philips
Area of interest: Discharge lighting [mainly mercury and LPS]
Oldest item: 1950 1000W GE incandescent

Postby MissRiaElaine » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:47 am

Slyspark wrote:Apparently, Narva is 'restructuring' and will no longer be producing fluorescent lamps of any kind. A real blow, as I order mine direct from Narva and they're bloody good lamps. Apparently they're going to concentrate on the LED market - explains why they've really been pushing LED every time I've ordered recently!

See. http://www.narva-bel.de for more info.

Really quite ***** off about this. How long before ALL the main lamp manufacturers go this route and all that's left are crap, unbranded Chinese imports?

Next stop 2020, when Philips ceases SOX production... :cry:
--
Much love,
Ria in Aberdeen

Paul
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent battens and Thorn Vintage
Oldest item: 1890's Carbon Lamp

Postby Paul » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:55 pm

They're determined to limit what's available on the market and dictate what we can buy! :oops:

Kev
Favourite Manufacturer: Atlas and CourtneyPope
Area of interest: Discharge and Fluorescent

Postby Kev » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:39 pm

Thank god I voted leave

Slyspark

Postby Slyspark » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:24 pm

Currently I'm still ordering from Narva UK, but I'm now being supplied with Osram lamps by them (and Philips made Osrams if they're 6' tubes). Sad thing is, there won't be any sort of 'lamp' market soon, it'll all just be built-in, non-replaceable LED modules. I might quit the lighting game, not sure how much more of this pap I can force myself to fit.

As for our GE T8's, these now seem to be re-badged Sylvania from Germany and they're absolutely terrible lamps. They last about as long as the really ***** Chinese tubes do. I used to order exclusively GE, but I won't touch them now. All I'll order now are Philips or Osram.

I hate to say it, but leave or no leave, it's too late now. All any of the lighting manufacturers want to produce is this LED crap, as they can sell the complete fitting for far more than the replacement lamps they would have sold, then sell the whole fitting to you again a few yrs down the line when it fails. It's a massive con to make the lighting manufacturers massive profits, nothing more. If they wanted to, all these LED modules could be replaceable, and stuff like filament LED tubes (which we know Sylvania produce) could be employed. The fact no-one is fitting anything replaceable now tells you all you need to know.

MissRiaElaine
Favourite Manufacturer: Philips
Area of interest: Discharge lighting [mainly mercury and LPS]
Oldest item: 1950 1000W GE incandescent

Postby MissRiaElaine » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:02 pm

[quote="Slyspark"]
I hate to say it, but leave or no leave, it's too late now. All any of the lighting manufacturers want to produce is this LED crap, as they can sell the complete fitting for far more than the replacement lamps they would have sold, then sell the whole fitting to you again a few yrs down the line when it fails. It's a massive con to make the lighting manufacturers massive profits, nothing more. If they wanted to, all these LED modules could be replaceable, and stuff like filament LED tubes (which we know Sylvania produce) could be employed. The fact no-one is fitting anything replaceable now tells you all you need to know.[
/quote]

Sadly, I think you're right :(

It's LED, LED and more LED everywhere you go :( In the main shopping street here in Aberdeen (Union Street) all of the perfectly serviceable HPS fittings have been taken down and replaced with LED's, the silly thing is they've put in three times as many LED fittings as there were HPS and still the light level is crap.

One day (and I hope it's soon) the bean counters will sit up and think "Hang on a minute, we spent £x hundreds of thousands (or however much it was) replacing all these fittings, but we're still spending the same (if not more, as there are three times as many fittings) on electricity, why is that..?"
--
Much love,
Ria in Aberdeen

Return to “Lamps”