LED Streetlighting in Bedfordshire

Discussion related to street lighting luminaires and components.
Paul
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent battens and Thorn Vintage
Oldest item: 1890's Carbon Lamp

LED Streetlighting in Bedfordshire

Post by Paul » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:53 am

I was on my way back through Flitwick in Bedfordshire recently and noticed that some columns had been changed over to LED streetlighting! The whole street was bathed in a cool glow, reminicent of the good old mercury vapour lamps of old.... must get a decent photo next time I'm over that way!

Kev
Favourite Manufacturer: Atlas and CourtneyPope
Area of interest: Discharge and Fluorescent

Re: LED Streetlighting in Bedfordshire

Post by Kev » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:03 pm

We have found out that LED suffer bad from catarax early on in their lives as seen on LG! But they do have a nice cool white light!

Paul
ATL Admin

Post by Paul » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:28 pm

st_tdci says (wish he'd post this himself LOL) that there seems to be a trial stretch of LED lanterns on the A40 near Northolt in London...

Tom
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Pre 1993 Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: One of a few pip top lamps!

Post by Tom » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:46 am

In my job as a lorry driver, I too have witnessed a couple of LED streetlight trails along my travels. The main one being along a short stretch of the A40 westway into London just past Northholt. This stretch of road is lit with SON (HPS) lanterns, 250w I think, which is separated with a 200 yard or so stretch of LED lanterns. Initially, I thought these were metal halides until I noticed the typical LED matrix!! The light output is a close match to SON/MH! Very impressive!

Another cluster of LED lanterns are among a run of metal halide lanterns at a major crossroads in St Leonards-on-sea near Hastings. Again, these were giving the metal halides a good run for their money!!

I would like to get a closer look and some pics, but this is not a good idea whilst at the wheel of an 18 ton truck lol!
I LOVE LAMP!

Bluto
Favourite Manufacturer: Thorn Lighting
Area of interest: Everything esp cold cathode + neon signs etc

Post by Bluto » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:24 am

I havent seen any LED street lanterns around here yet , except for a few in car parks , etc (but privately owned and not belonging to street lighting). The PFI is using LED sign-lights, however and also LED bollards , belisha beacons and refuge beacons.

I love LEDs , as Ive often said , I love all lamps , HOWEVER , different types of lamp have their own "place" in my opinion and street lights is NOT the place for LEDs!!! xxx I accept that things change and technology advances , etc ,etc, but it just doesnt seem right somehow?. Streetlights ought to be low pressure sodium! - especially in this day and age of so called global warming and energy crisis , etc , Sign lights should have miniature tubes , belisha beacons 65 watt traffic-signal or rough service bulbs (and Rotaflash units) - and refuge beacons should have 50 watt mercurys!!! Oh! -- and flashing "blinkie" badges , colour-changing Hello-Kitty s and keyring lights, etc, should have LEDs!!! xxx LOL xxx!!

Just my humble (old fashionedxxx) opinion!!

Jeremy

Danny
Favourite Manufacturer: GEC
Area of interest: Street lights fluorescent discharge
Oldest item: 120v 60w carbon lamp 1905

Post by Danny » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:17 am

Theres a Stretch of LED lanterns on the A1 at Team valley! I have never seen them lit though

Dave
Favourite Manufacturer: Atlas - Old Thorn - GEC - Philips - Phosco
Area of interest: Everything

Post by Dave » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:16 am

Birminghams replacing all their old mercury (Pfft!) lanterns with LED. I have to admit, the colour emmited is very similar to the old mercury, if not a little brighter. I'd still have mercury anyday tbh! The lanterns are WRTL Stella's.
Also in my local area, a whole stretch of road had its SOX ( :crying ) lanterns replaced for LED, and this time, they're not that good AT ALL! light output from these is far too directional, you cant see the junctions properly, and overall, they're probably the s******** design ever! These are the Philips BGS451 Mini Iridum.

Paul
ATL Admin

Post by Paul » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:57 am

The ONLY decent LED lanterns I have seen working have been these...

Philips Fortimo

peterhoult
Favourite Manufacturer: WRTL Thorn Philips
Area of interest: Street Lighting and CMS Systems

Post by peterhoult » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:36 am

I have to admit I do like some of the new Phosco LED lanterns that use Fortimo. They also do a P516, P109 and P111 LED option now. The WRTL Luma isn't bad. WRTL RetroLED for retrofitting Arc, Libra etc. sounds like a good idea. Thorn Isaro and Indra are quite stylish. I absolutely DETEST the Stela!

Kev

Post by Kev » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:44 am

@ peter I must admit that I think they are all *****! Most fall far short of the efficiency of SON especially the higher wattage SON led is way off them. Plus from what I've seen of the lanterns near me they are not reliable!
LED is a fashion IMO. Some of us have pulled son lamps out that have been run every night for around 15 years and still going that's longer than the complete led lanterns are designed to last! :lol:
I'd rather have electronic ballast Cosmo than most of this led crap! And that's coming from someone who hates electronic ballasts as much as me! :-?

peterhoult

Post by peterhoult » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:31 pm

Kev wrote:@ peter I must admit that I think they are all *****! Most fall far short of the efficiency of SON especially the higher wattage SON led is way off them. Plus from what I've seen of the lanterns near me they are not reliable!
LED is a fashion IMO. Some of us have pulled son lamps out that have been run every night for around 15 years and still going that's longer than the complete led lanterns are designed to last! :lol:
I'd rather have electronic ballast Cosmo than most of this led crap! And that's coming from someone who hates electronic ballasts as much as me! :-?

You're right really Kev, but I have a feeling that they are here to stay! I have to say I like SON myself. Just recently I notice Derbyshire County Council have re-lit a main road near us in Chesterfield with Arc 80s burning SON (used to be mainly lit with SOX Revo Sol D'or) - Even though new housing estates are being lit with the dreaded Stela (Hateful lantern!!!).

LinearSLI-H
Favourite Manufacturer: PHILIPS and VOSSLOH SCHWABE
Area of interest: HID and Associated control gear
Oldest item: Philips 160W MBT/U 1951

Post by LinearSLI-H » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:38 pm

We had one in the Stella range lit up at the ATL March meet, their not very good for light output, and they weigh a tonne!, made from that crappy powder coat ally.
FEED THE MOOMIN!!

peterhoult

Post by peterhoult » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:57 pm

From what I've seen the ones in our area are fairly bright, but it is their colour temperature and their "light source" of individual elements that make them seem glary and brash.

I also understand from the Indal website that you can get Stelas in different driver currents from 250Ma to 750Ma

leslielamp
Favourite Manufacturer: osram
Area of interest: all light sources
Oldest item: poseable fluorescent lamp

Post by leslielamp » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:55 pm

I love stellas and mercs equally but if I had to choose illd have mercs any day.
xenon short-arc lamps are cool ( and dangerous )!

Kev

Post by Kev » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:38 pm

Burn them!

Paul
ATL Admin