New IMPROVED Beta 5

Discussion related to street lighting luminaires and components.
versalift09
Area of interest: Street Lighting

New IMPROVED Beta 5

Postby versalift09 » Tue May 28, 2013 4:30 pm

You thought 35w SOX Beta 5 was good? Check this out:
http://indolighting.com/product/thorn-b ... -retrofit/

Sorry Kev it's official- SOX is pants :lol: :vomit :vomit

MetalHalideHater

Re: New IMPROVED Beta 5

Postby MetalHalideHater » Tue May 28, 2013 4:55 pm

I think I prefer the PL and MH/SON mods the members on here have done!

Ash
Area of interest: Any electricity and computer tech

Postby Ash » Tue May 28, 2013 6:31 pm

I can agree with that....

Also does it require a mod ?

18w SOX can run on 18wT8 ballast, so i'd assume the opposite too. Now, IIRC there was some halide that worked ok on the 18wT8 ballast too. If thats right, does it mean that such halide can work straight on the 18w SOX gear with only a socket adapter ?

And if yes is there something similar for 35-55-90 etc ?

Kev
Favourite Manufacturer: Atlas and CourtneyPope
Area of interest: Discharge and Fluorescent

Postby Kev » Tue May 28, 2013 7:06 pm

I've noticed they have said 35W PL? I wasn't aware a beta 5 came in PL? And if they have got sox mixed up with PL? Why down grade sox is probably twice as efficient than this pants retrofit! Keep it original! 8-)

Ash

Postby Ash » Tue May 28, 2013 8:20 pm

Usually the point of all thos replacements is to replace the lantern too (big time waste if you ask me - The old lanterns are reliable and working, and im not buying that the replacements are done to save energy as claimed, since in none of the cases the new lamp is lower wattage than the old - at least here and remind you we dont have SOX here, so this will be even more the case with SOX)

So converting the lantern using this kit is NOT something i'd expect to see as mainstream in the street lighting. They look to me like retrofits for small numbers projects

But hell no, i'd choose the PL evry day over this

Actually i dont see anything bad with a 11w PL-S or 18w-36w PL-L with proper gear (choke + electronic starter). For proper lighting levels they can get good visibility. Proper lighting levels is what i call light on the order of full moon or slightly more. I really dont think streets should be lit with more than that. SON-SOX become effective for way higher lightig levels, but trying to get full moon lighting with a SOX will reult in useless orange glow, besides, the smallest SOX you can get is 18w and the smallest high efficiency PL you can get is 11w and this IS near 1.5x difference

The only issue i see with PL is in the cold if some PLs can get dim due to the low temperature. In this case some small halide (like the bi pin ones with small ceramic arc tube) would be good

Now for the halide. If there is halide which can run on the SOX ballast, and if the SOX ignitor is sufficient to strike said halide (and if no, only replace ignitor and youre done....) then there is no kit needed at all. Use a socket adapter (or 2 of them B22-E27 E27-bipin, the SOX lantern would accomodate it no problem), done....

MetalHalideHater

Postby MetalHalideHater » Tue May 28, 2013 10:11 pm

Very interesting points there Ash

sailormoon_01_uk
Favourite Manufacturer: GEC
Area of interest: Airport Lighting
Oldest item: 1890's Carbon Filament Lamp

Postby sailormoon_01_uk » Wed May 29, 2013 8:32 am

A Few years ago, Thorn did make the Thorn Beta 5 with a 24w PL-L lamp and the Beta 2 with 36w PL-L lamp, however they were for export as the Light levels were not high enough for the UK's BS5489 (Road Lighting) I did get told they were used in Turkey.

Out if Interest I also have a Thorn Beta 5 wired with 24w PL-Lamp and a Beta 5 with 36w PL-L Lamp however I an not sure if they are Genuine or Modificatitons

Ash

Postby Ash » Wed May 29, 2013 6:43 pm

This is the issue, those regultions require amounts of light which look totally redundant to me. People write such regulations (also concerning CRI requirements for street lighting, not only brightness) because they are spoiled, just like kid with lots of money in a toys shop. Few decades ago streets were lit dimly with really the minimum required light amount and the earth did not stop spinning b/c of htat

peterhoult
Favourite Manufacturer: WRTL Thorn Philips
Area of interest: Street Lighting and CMS Systems

Postby peterhoult » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:14 am

versalift09 wrote:You thought 35w SOX Beta 5 was good? Check this out:
http://indolighting.com/product/thorn-b ... -retrofit/

Sorry Kev it's official- SOX is pants :lol: :vomit :vomit

These look really strange with the two "gear wheels" at either end.

peterhoult

Postby peterhoult » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:23 am

I'd say the best option would be to "wire out" the SOX ballast, replace the BC lampholder (about £1.50), and replace with an LED replacement bulb (about £50 each if bought in bulk I'd imagine - seen them on WWW for £60 per single unit).

That way they keep all of the old SOX lanterns. The SON lanterns are easier to retrofit with just the lamp being changed and the ballast "wired out".

http://www.ledecolights.com/

All info is on the above site. I must say I haven't seen them in use, but surely it's a cheaper/more desireable option than total replacement. It's also very "green" because there aren't thousands of old luminaires in the dustbin!

Kev
Favourite Manufacturer: Atlas and CourtneyPope
Area of interest: Discharge and Fluorescent

Postby Kev » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:59 am

Improved lol what a load of *****, peter the led retrofits will probably be less efficient and last less time than 1 35W sox PSG lamp. Lol idiots who think led is better than sox son or metal halide, Cosmo blows anything led out the water in terms of efficiency!

Paul
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent battens and Thorn Vintage
Oldest item: 1890's Carbon Lamp

Postby Paul » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:12 pm

That explains things! Seen these cropping up all over the place!

peterhoult

Postby peterhoult » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:40 pm

Where I live in Derbyshire the council's "casual replacement of choice" for SOX seems to be a CFL lantern (either the Thorn Celeste or the WRTL Libra). The Libra would seem a better option because there is an LED retrofit option called RETROLED. With these lanterns being retrofittable it means that the lanterns can be upgraded as and when the LED technology improves. I personally agree that LED isn't quite there yet. The WRTL Lumas in the Sheffield PFI scheme aren't too shabby though. It's just a shame that the local council have chosen the unupgradeable "glare bomb" WRTL Stela as their lantern of choice for "new developments".

Return to “Street Lighting”