East Sussex have got the CosmoPolis bug!

Discussion related to street lighting luminaires and components.
Tom
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Pre 1993 Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: One of a few pip top lamps!

East Sussex have got the CosmoPolis bug!

Postby Tom » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:30 pm

Well I've not been down this neck of the woods for a few months but it seems like Eastbourne have taken a leaf out of Cornwall's book and are adopting Kev's favourite streetlighting - The Philips Cosmo lamp! The industrial estate where I'm parked up for the night now has the same lanterns as Cornwall which have replaced the old Philips 90w SOX columns! I've just been watching these firing up from my cab. Just wish they would stay that nice blue daylight colour! Now warmed up it's that warm incandescent colour! Cue the ballast failures! LOL

I don't know why they bother sexing up the industrial areas IAH. Not like there's anything to enhance! Talking of which I've a lovely view of two gasometers straight in front of me! :D
I LOVE LAMP!

Kev
Favourite Manufacturer: Atlas and CourtneyPope
Area of interest: Discharge and Fluorescent

Re: East Sussex have got the CosmoPolis bug!

Postby Kev » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:13 pm

Oh god more of these disgusting turds turning up! Has anyone ever seen the ubderneeth of a ZX1/2/3 Where all the grey powder coat has come away? That is what i have a feeling these will end up like in a few years. Horrid things Cornwall council so far out of 20000 lanters they have installed they have had about 600 faulty ballasts and about 300 faulty lamps! Hmmm i wonder what these will be like in 8-10 years time?

Tom
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Pre 1993 Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: One of a few pip top lamps!

Postby Tom » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:03 pm

LOL Eastbourne's seagulls have shown their dislike on these new lanterns already! :lol:
I LOVE LAMP!

Paul
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent battens and Thorn Vintage
Oldest item: 1890's Carbon Lamp

Postby Paul » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:06 am

How about posting up a photo of them so I know what they look like?

Kev

Postby Kev » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:28 am

Ill get a photo today when i can. They are called Urbis Evolo 2 lanterns i dunno how you are even ment to say that its like evo but with lo on the end, Sounds crap!

Kev

Postby Kev » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:40 am

This is what cornwall are using to replace SOX lanterns. Anywhere you see one of these there is a 95% chance that there once used to be a SOX of some type in its place!
Attachments
photo 6.JPG
16 MILLION £ WASE OF THE COUNCILS MONEY!

Dave
Favourite Manufacturer: Atlas - Old Thorn - GEC - Philips - Phosco
Area of interest: Everything

Postby Dave » Fri May 11, 2012 10:49 am

Well Kidderminster are now using Holophane QSS... I HATE THEM!!! they're absolute glare bombs. they're a driving distraction too. Fair enough the roads needed to be lit better, but they're replacing 35-90W SOX, which i love, with 100-140W CMH. WHERES THE ENERGY SAVING IN THAT??? And now the council want to turn off the street lights in our local area at midnight every night. WHY? The estate behind us looks like a football stadium. The old SOX lighting was perfectly capable of lighting the roads. To add onto the problems, a few photocells on the new lanterns have already failed whereas the original top entry Beta 5's all had their original cells from the late 60's.
Because of the street lights being tured off at midnight now, we're getting my Simplex Shovel floodlight restored and installed on the back of our house, running a 70W CMH all night, every night. Fair enough, its not mercury, but i'm hoping i can get a CMH that resembles a Merc.

Return to “Street Lighting”