Final Atlas Alpha 8 Gone!!!

Discussion related to street lighting luminaires and components.
Dave
Favourite Manufacturer: Atlas - Old Thorn - GEC - Philips - Phosco
Area of interest: Everything

Final Atlas Alpha 8 Gone!!!

Post by Dave » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:10 pm

Remember this Atlas Alpha 8 on Mike Barfords site? tonight i bring bad news that this lantern and column no longer exist. Proof is here on this Google maps image.
RIP Atlas Alpha 8. we will never forget you :crying absolutely sickening this was removed, however the bracket couldve been a cause.

versalift09
Area of interest: Street Lighting

Re: Final Atlas Alpha 8 Gone!!!

Post by versalift09 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:14 pm

There is one left on Constitution Hill in London a mate of mine was working near it recently. SON now obviously...

sailormoon_01_uk
Favourite Manufacturer: GEC
Area of interest: Airport Lighting
Oldest item: 1890's Carbon Filament Lamp

Post by sailormoon_01_uk » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:34 pm

For Street View of the Atlas/BLI Alpha 8 See HERE

Danny
Favourite Manufacturer: GEC
Area of interest: Street lights fluorescent discharge
Oldest item: 120v 60w carbon lamp 1905

Post by Danny » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:34 pm

thats a nice lantern, Shame!

Bluto
Favourite Manufacturer: Thorn Lighting
Area of interest: Everything esp cold cathode + neon signs etc

Post by Bluto » Mon May 06, 2013 1:30 am

I VE ONLY JUST NOTICED THIS HAD DISAPPEARED!!!! Id known that column and lantern for years , although I think it had been derelict / unused for a long time.

I can clearly remember when Derby had what must have been hundreds of these lanterns . They generally had a 250 watt MBF lamp at the "front" and a 400 watt at the "back" and the 400 would usually be switched off at midnight , leaving the 250 on until morning. They were literally everywhere around Derby and Im not talking about that long ago. I may be a Grandad , but Im only 44 , and I remember them well from my early childhood . I would say most had disappeared by 1979 / 1980 approximately . There were equal numbers of Alpha 3 s too along with these , and many of the Alpha 3s remained and were converted to SON when mercurys were being phased out. Some of those original Alpha 3s have only just been replaced (in the last year or so), as the PFI has swept everything of interest away. Some of them must have been close to 50 years old when they were removed.