LED Street Lighting VS SON?

Discussion related to street lighting luminaires and components.
LinearSLI-H
Favourite Manufacturer: PHILIPS and VOSSLOH SCHWABE
Area of interest: HID and Associated control gear
Oldest item: Philips 160W MBT/U 1951

Re: LED Street Lighting VS SON?

Postby LinearSLI-H » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:36 pm

Afternoon Peter, I`m Rich, Kevs kev! ;)
There are 3 main lanterns that are replacing SOX in Cheshire, either Vectras, Sapphires or Arcs with SON / HPS lamps.">SON-T in, more so with Arcs now, with Sapphires popping up around the housing estates, with flat glass and 50watt SON / HPS lamps.">SON-T in.
FEED THE MOOMIN!!

peterhoult
Favourite Manufacturer: WRTL Thorn Philips
Area of interest: Street Lighting and CMS Systems

Postby peterhoult » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:31 am

LinearSLI-H wrote:Afternoon Peter, I`m Rich, Kevs kev! ;)
There are 3 main lanterns that are replacing SOX in Cheshire, either Vectras, Sapphires or Arcs with SON-T in, more so with Arcs now, with Sapphires popping up around the housing estates, with flat glass and 50watt SON-T in.

Not sure what happened there Rich! I knew Kev was the other chap! I don't think I knew what your name was actually!

peterhoult

Postby peterhoult » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:38 am

Are you a fan of the WRTL Arc? Compared to some lanterns I've seen I think it's one of the nicer ones. Is anyone with me when I say I liked Mercury Vapour (I am 39 so I grew up in a time when many streets were lit by it!).

To get back to the LED topic, do you know that there is an LED version of the WRTL Arc, Libra, and various other WRTL lanterns - Including a LED retrofit for existing ones of this type called RETROLED?

I have yet to see them in operation, so I cannot comment on how effective they are as yet!

LinearSLI-H

Postby LinearSLI-H » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:14 am

Most of our new street lighting here was post top mounted 2600s and then Vectras.
But Cheshire highways seem to be moving towards Urbis`s Sapphire, (I realy hate the look of these), and WRTL Arcs, the Arc is the only lantern that looks stylish both post top, and outreach arm mounted.
My next town to me are using Thorns Triumphs, I have to say I do like the design of them, having a slight US look to them, but as for the Sapphire, the optics in them are superb, but Urbis have gone with such an ugly looking canopy in style colour and shape.

I`m am now 41, and like you, grew up with mercury lamps for street lighting, however, the mercury lamp was spoiled by putting them into lanterns with plastic bowls!, we lost all our MBF in 1981 for SOX, but it would be interesting to see the mercury lamps used today in the modern lanterns when white light is needed.

We have no LED where I am, but I would like to see it installed to make my own judgement, after seeing SOX/SON for so many years now.
FEED THE MOOMIN!!

peterhoult

Postby peterhoult » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:53 am

I'm guessing from your description of the lights you are somewhere in the SK post code Rich? ;). I have seen the (green?) Thorn Triumph lanterns that you speak of on my way passing through over the past few years. They burn white lamps I believe? Metal Halide? I also like the Triumph lantern, but a lot of enthusiasts seem to think it's ugly. They used them at Pride Park in Derby before the PFI - According to Mike Barford's site

LinearSLI-H

Postby LinearSLI-H » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:52 pm

Not far off, SK is Stockport, we are CW, Middlewich, Northwich, Winsford.
FEED THE MOOMIN!!

peterhoult

Postby peterhoult » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:04 pm

LinearSLI-H wrote:This is true with `white light`, you only have to look at a running 500watt halogen lamp at night, at first they seem way brighter than, say, a 150watt SON, even though the SON is 5500 lumens brighter than it!

Though not as efficient as HID, LED seems a better concept for street lighting, as there output is all downward.
There is a new LED installation on the new roadway in Winsford near me, but I haven`t seen them at night yet.

Rich, do you know of any official research that backs up what we are saying here? I seem to "have the ear" of the woman, in charge of Street Lighting at Derbyshire County Council. She sent me an email earlier telling me that they are in the R&D stage of working out which lanterns are the best to use to replace the county's SOX and SON. She even told me that they were considering LEDs of similar brightness to the existing lamps!

I haven't mentioned the White Light/Warm White factor in being able to use lower lumens sources to her yet, but if I can back up what I'm saying with official research then I'm sure she'd be interested in what I had to say!

LinearSLI-H

Postby LinearSLI-H » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:37 am

Morning Peter, these have been my own observations, but I have a book, co written by Thorns, (then 1983), head of lamp research, M A Cayless, called `Lamps and Lighting`, third edition, in this book, it is explained how the human eye sees color and light in the dark and also lantern optics in road lighting.

Its an interesting read, but the 3rd edition is old now, I not sure what number the book is on now?
FEED THE MOOMIN!!

peterhoult

Postby peterhoult » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:06 pm

LinearSLI-H wrote:Morning Peter, these have been my own observations, but I have a book, co written by Thorns, (then 1983), head of lamp research, M A Cayless, called `Lamps and Lighting`, third edition, in this book, it is explained how the human eye sees color and light in the dark and also lantern optics in road lighting.

Its an interesting read, but the 3rd edition is old now, I not sure what number the book is on now?

Thanks Rich! At least I can pass on the info. It's funny they are your observations because I'm no expert and I came up with the same conclusions!

Return to “Street Lighting”