SOX and the M1.

Discussion related to street lighting luminaires and components.
sailormoon01uk

Re: SOX and the M1.

Post by sailormoon01uk » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:53 pm

Possibly as you are near the airport yoy will notice some High Mast Columns on that section, they are Approach Lights supporting Thorn EL-ATC Approach Lights, as the motorway is only 1200 metres from the Runway also SOX Lighting is a Ideal Choice to avoid Confusion to Air Traffic as Dimmed Approach Lights on a Clear night can give the same colour as SON Lamps

For the Section of the M1 Motorawy with Apporach Lighting Masts and MA60's see photos

peterhoult
Favourite Manufacturer: WRTL Thorn Philips
Area of interest: Street Lighting and CMS Systems

Post by peterhoult » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:59 am

sailormoon01uk wrote:Possibly as you are near the airport yoy will notice some High Mast Columns on that section, they are Approach Lights supporting Thorn EL-ATC Approach Lights, as the motorway is only 1200 metres from the Runway also SOX Lighting is a Ideal Choice to avoid Confusion to Air Traffic as Dimmed Approach Lights on a Clear night can give the same colour as SON Lamps

For the Section of the M1 Motorawy with Apporach Lighting Masts and MA60's see photos

I'd say the solution here might be to use lamps built into the railings at the sides of the motorway.

amtrakuk
Favourite Manufacturer: Light Ideas Philips Fitzgerald
Area of interest: Discharge lighting
Oldest item: c 1975 Light Ideas

Post by amtrakuk » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:32 am

Always wondered why SOX is till used there and guessed it was something to do with air traffic. If memory serves me there was an RTA involving one of the masts along the edge of the carriageway and it was replaced with an Iridium - Looks most odd.

That stretch could do with relamping as there was quite a few failed last time I was driving along there at night. just waiting for some sub-sub-sub contractor to be awarded with the contract to update that stretch to SON :doh
EU - Ethics Undermined