How quickly is SOX disappearing from your area

Discussion related to street lighting luminaires and components.
Kev
Favourite Manufacturer: Atlas and CourtneyPope
Area of interest: Discharge and Fluorescent

How quickly is SOX disappearing from your area

Postby Kev » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:55 pm

Well guys the title says it all! The faithful magnetic ballast SOX lantern is now extinct from cornwall except from one small legnth of dual carrageway! Even the main A30 near smokey joes (tom knows where i mean) is now retardmopolis! It looks like the only SOX in my area now is private installs and the odd one that has been missed so far! Also the air bases have SOX to light the parimeter but even these are now becoming changed to SON at culdrose!
Is there much SOX left in your area??

MetalHalideHater

Re: How quickly is SOX disappearing from your area

Postby MetalHalideHater » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:58 pm

In my area, certain areas were PFI'd, however, there are still quite significant areas with SOX in use. The lanterns are mainly Beta 5s and GEC things. I have a load of pictures of all the SOX lights that are still in my area-just gotta decide to get them off my phone!

Kev

Postby Kev » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:02 pm

All i can say is snap the pictures of the SOX soon. I would of thought in 5-10 years SOX will be almost gone from the Uk!

Danny
Favourite Manufacturer: GEC
Area of interest: Street lights fluorescent discharge
Oldest item: 120v 60w carbon lamp 1905

Postby Danny » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:37 pm

Well Cosmo change seems to be slow around here at the minute, I think they are stopping the Cosmo change over as its proving so unreliable and Expensive... They WANT SOX gone, over the past few years a Hatred for SOX has quicly grew. When i moved here in 2004 I would of said there WAS MORE SOX than any other Light... Today theres DEFO MORE SON than any other... So hopefully they might be Leaving the Rest as SON, but changing SOX for SON

Kev

Postby Kev » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:46 pm

I guess it was the same here. This is the last install that is still lit tonight here in cornwall. I think we all need to get some pictures of SOX lamps stil in service while we can!

Danny

Postby Danny » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:56 pm

Yep I try my best to get pics :)... Gateshead has gone ALL Cosmo and using Urbis Sapphires

FrontSideBus

Postby FrontSideBus » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:16 pm

Seem to be enduring around here. They are disappearing rather rapidly along the M62 though...
Regards, Mark Jones.

Danny

Postby Danny » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:38 pm

The Sunderland & washington area started their PFI in September 2003. They used Magnetic Ballast Irradiums all over. They finished in 2008/. here they are: www.auroraltd.com A stretch of the A690 has NOT been PFI'd. It has MA60s and the Odd MA50 on it http://g.co/maps/854c4 Hopefully theyll stay now as they werent done but i have a feeling the lanterns may be going soon :-(

Tom
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Pre 1993 Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: One of a few pip top lamps!

Postby Tom » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:12 pm

There's still a few SOX dotted around Oxford although SON has been slowly taking over the last 15 years or so. Main roads are mostly SON and we have Cosmo along the main shopping area of our street. One or two are often out! :lol:

Still some good old Beta 5s and Gamma 6s round my way which have been dutifully lighting the backstreets for over 30 years now! Although 70w SON Urbis and Industria lanterns have slowly been creeping in!

Kev I remember you saying those MAs along the A30 were due for the chop!
I LOVE LAMP!

LinearSLI-H
Favourite Manufacturer: PHILIPS and VOSSLOH SCHWABE
Area of interest: HID and Associated control gear
Oldest item: Philips 160W MBT/U 1951

Postby LinearSLI-H » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:01 pm

That just leaves Cheshire then NO PFI is going on here ANYWHERE!!!!, even SON replacements are few and far between :mrgreen:
FEED THE MOOMIN!!

Simon_R
Favourite Manufacturer: Atlas
Area of interest: Old Fluorescents and old Street Lights

Postby Simon_R » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:11 pm

There is a foot path around the side & back of my place that is sill lit by SOX but the streets around here have recently been replaced by SON. We are also on part-night street lighting.

LinearSLI-H

Postby LinearSLI-H » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:31 pm

Now thats poor :x , part night street lighting will open up the flood gates for wrong-doers!
FEED THE MOOMIN!!

Kev

Postby Kev » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:53 pm

Yep those MAs bit the dust last week tom! Shame as they werent actually that old! Maybe 1996-7! Barely run in IMO. They new cosms they have replaced them with are nice and bright so it seems but one is out already they were only fitted last week....Defective ballast? They are using a node system im wondering if this is a trial by the HWA?
Rich you need to get some photos good on your local council. Im guessing replacments are only where the lantern is knackered by damage or water ingress?
For some reason i cant upload a picture to this topic?

LinearSLI-H

Postby LinearSLI-H » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:19 pm

One of the MA 50 along Chester road was dammaged by wind a few years ago, Cheshire Highways replaced it with a `with gear` version of the same lantern :D
FEED THE MOOMIN!!

Bluto
Favourite Manufacturer: Thorn Lighting
Area of interest: Everything esp cold cathode + neon signs etc

Postby Bluto » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:03 pm

There are still quite a few pockets of SOX left here and there around Derby , despite the PFI and the massive invasion of Cosmo s in Iridiums. What I have noticed is that the PFI , which is almost complete now , does not seem to affect "new developments" , ie new housing estates that popped up in the last 10 years or so , and these are all lit with "new" SOX installations that were done when they were built . It looks like these are going to remain untouched so far. Also various other areas of SOX seem to have escaped the PFI , including various footpaths and parks.
I think it all has to do with what is classed as "adopted" or "unadopted" roads . It seems that the PFI will not replace lights on unadopted roads. A case in point is that this area has been completely hit by the PFI and Cosmo Iridiums are everywhere , however , one road just around the corner ( and the various closes leading off it ), are all completely untouched and the SOX es remain in their Beta5s and MI26s. Its strange at night, to see this little area of about 25 SOX lights amongst all the new Cosmo white lights.

It saddens me greatly to see so many SOX street lights have disappeared , there were so many around Derby , not very long ago at all .

On a good note , the area where my Daughter lives , near Ripley , is still almost all SOX , and , curiously , some of the concrete columns on Her estate have just been sleeved and fitted with what look like brand new Z9536 or Z9538 lanterns with 55 watt SOXes!! These lanterns ARE brand new , but considering theyve not been made for some time they must be using up new-old stock that was on the shelf. I was so pleased to see these recently , it really cheered me up x lol x! I will do a pic of some of these soon!

I dont know the full facts , but apparently Derbys PFI has run into budget trouble . It is getting towards the end anyway now , but suddenly there are SONs cropping up everywhere on new PFI installations instead of Cosmo s , (and in one area decorative lanterns with CDO-ETs in instead of Cosmo s).
Originally , when the PFI started , it was all supposed to be white light and Cosmos and nothing else. Now the money has about run out it seems they cant afford Cosmos and are using cheap SON lanterns , in other words the whole job is a mess and a mish-mash of all sorts of different things now and not standardised on one type of lamp which was the original plan!!

Cant say Im sorry the PFI has all gone wrong x lol x !

Jeremy

Danny

Postby Danny » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:52 pm

Cosmos were fast appearing in Durham last year and some of this year. But all seems to have stopped. Including Lights being repaired unbelievably as they have stopped ALL night patrols resulting in lights that have been out for months . I have not seen any Street lighting vans around. Even when i have been in the car, Street lighting vans are nowhere to be found so I dont quite know whats happened to DCC?!. I haven't even seen my contact driving about! I might Report one or 2 street lights just to catch the lads out and about to find out what the f*ck is going on!.

When I last Seen DCC They were wanting rid of SOX. I don't know why they have suddenly grew a hatred for SOX as they were installing SOX untill around 2006 or 2007 It p!$$e$ me off to know they are wanting SOX gone. its a shame that they are wanting every SOX gone. Cosmo lanterns just do not look right attatched to wooden poles!! like the Z9538s and MI80s and Beta lanterns do. If this Government wouldent of Got in, a PFI in County Durham would have started later this year. Im glad the PFI has been cancelled TBH

FrontSideBus

Postby FrontSideBus » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:13 pm

A load of old GEC Z8600's near me have been replaced with 250w SON WRTL Airtrace 2's on new columns and I must say I quite like the new lanterns!

An Eleco GR150 on my road that has had a missing bowl for god knows how long was replaced with a SON WRTL Arc a few weeks ago, looks really weird on the old concrete column!
Regards, Mark Jones.

Kev

Postby Kev » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:07 pm

Jeremy do you think that maybe they have started using the SON due to the ballast problems with the cosmos. I remember you saying before what when the PFI started there were major ballast problems with the Iridiums!
Im glad that the street lighting PFI has gone tits up too! We had a school PFI go wrong down here as the contractor under priced the job massively and were loosing a LOT of money every year!

Danny

Postby Danny » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:11 pm

Cosmos around here have proved nout but bother due to ballast probolems... Could Councils have finally woke up and realised they are installing $h!t!?!?

MetalHalideHater

Postby MetalHalideHater » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:39 pm

The next round of Surrey's PFI is in progress/nearly completed. Practically all SOX lamps/fittings have gone, even the ones I thought would stay.

Dave
Favourite Manufacturer: Atlas - Old Thorn - GEC - Philips - Phosco
Area of interest: Everything

Postby Dave » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:16 pm

Apparently, Kiddy is undergoing a relighting scheme, and teh Holophane QSS have slowly been encroaching. we lost our very final untouched stretch of main road lanterns a few months ago, cause of a faulty lamp in one. they replaced all 20 MA90's which really racked me off :evil: but as of march, i have seen no further replacement lanterns crop up anywhere. i'm stil keeping an eye on that old 60's Eleco HW747, the very final surviving example in Kiddy. its on a top entry concrete and is the only one of its type to survive the countless PFI's we've had over the years.

MetalHalideHater

Postby MetalHalideHater » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:04 am

There are three GEC mercury fittings like this: PHOTO which have been completely ignored. I'll try and get pics.

funkylamp
Favourite Manufacturer: Westinghouse Lamps
Area of interest: fluorescent-MV lighting

Postby funkylamp » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:05 am

Here in the USA Sox is far inbetween. I rember there was a 180 watt sox at a old US post office, I love the Pinkish red start up
and when i was kid i alway go to the post office each night to watch them start up, gone SON, elliptical bulb with a diffusing coating, can be used in the same fitting as mercury lamps, but require different control gear. 2/ SON / HPS lamps.">SON-T, tubular clear hard glass for floodlighting. 3/ SON-TD, tubular double ended clear quartz, the length and cap are equivalent to those of tungsten halogen lamps.">high pressure sodium. :crying

sailormoon01uk

Postby sailormoon01uk » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:27 pm

SOX Lightin was replaced two years ago in my Neighbourhood, however there are still 1000's of SOX street lighting in Merseyside especially in Liverpool and Sefton (Netherton) Area's

All the Best

Colin

peterhoult
Favourite Manufacturer: WRTL Thorn Philips
Area of interest: Street Lighting and CMS Systems

Postby peterhoult » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:55 am

SOX is still very present in the Chesterfield and Derbyshire areas.

It's a weird lighting policy that I can't quite work out, but new developments seem to use the much-hated WRTL Stela in various guises, some casual SOX replacements seem to use CFL (Either the WRTL Libra or Thorn Celeste), and even the SON WRTL Arc. It seems they are also trying out the Phosco P567A LED series lantern (Some "Normal", some HBM and some HBMt [Fortimo?]), in various areas also. In the past they have also used the Arc CPO/CDO/Cosmopolis or the Philips Iridium CPO/CDO/Cosmopolis in various SOX replacement schemes.

Return to “Street Lighting”