[repost] Amber minor restoration project!!

Discussion related to street lighting luminaires and components.
TheSOXMania
Favourite Manufacturer: Thorn + AEI
Area of interest: Discharge lamps + lanterns + control gear
Oldest item: 1965 AEI Amber minor

Re: [repost] Amber minor restoration project!!

Postby TheSOXMania » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:41 pm

micro update!

The ballast arrived yesterday and I got round to installing it. it's a tad undersized but there ain't nothing a bolt and a couple washers can't fix!! Still a little bummed I didn't go for the L4045BX that was on eBay a while back but I'm not gonna beat myself up over it. This is a lighter alternative and should be more than enough for my needs. The only things I need to get this going are the igniter (I've ordered an SX26 as it was the only igniter I could find for a somewhat reasonable value that isn't massively OP for what I need)

I also have the PFC cap installed with a single piece of wire as a placeholder for the wiring position for it. I'll be doing the rest when I can get the wire to do the entire thing.

The bright side to having the ballast I do now though is that I can keep the wiring from the ballast to lamp extremely short, which decreases the impedance and any losses between the ballast and lamp.
Attachments
20180415_205600[1].jpg
20180415_205345[1].jpg
20180415_205339[2].jpg
That orange glow, officer? no, it's not a grow. I just have all my sodium lamps on at the moment.

MissRiaElaine
Favourite Manufacturer: Philips
Area of interest: Discharge lighting [mainly mercury and LPS]
Oldest item: 1950 1000W GE incandescent

Postby MissRiaElaine » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:06 am

Looking good, that ballast will handle a 55W lamp as well, pity one of those wouldn't fit :P
--
Much love,
Ria in Aberdeen

TheSOXMania

Postby TheSOXMania » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:07 pm

MissRiaElaine wrote:Looking good, that ballast will handle a 55W lamp as well, pity one of those wouldn't fit :P

Won't fit with a bowl on... would look kinda daft with a 55w lamp in but the fact the ballast and igniter will be able to handle it gets the gears whirring... XDD
That orange glow, officer? no, it's not a grow. I just have all my sodium lamps on at the moment.

TheSOXMania

Postby TheSOXMania » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:27 pm

TheSOXMania wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:Looking good, that ballast will handle a 55W lamp as well, pity one of those wouldn't fit :P

Won't fit with a bowl on... would look kinda daft with a 55w lamp in but the fact the ballast and igniter will be able to handle it gets the gears whirring... XDD

Although to be honest, I already have another one of these ballasts in my ballast box so if I got a 55w lamp I could just fire it up on there lol

TheSOXMania

Postby TheSOXMania » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:06 pm

Micro update b: a new beginning

I have the new lamp that's going in the amber minor! It's a Radium RNA 35w. I just finished up breaking it in a couple hours ago. Works a treat!!

The amber minor is currently on hold until parts arrive to finish it off. Here's what's coming;

Waiting on the wire to gear the lantern with to arrive

Waiting on the place I ordered my igniter from to get stock (I'm getting a Parmar igniter as opposed to the SX26 as it's still in production and the store selling it can stock it)

Ordered a bracket as I might have had an idea regarding making a column while also recycling in the process

And as for bowls... if Linear or Paul is able to post I can cover the cost for them without issue. As I mentioned in previous posts I'm not hugely fussed about defects so long as they don't affect structural integrity too much.
Attachments
20180417_121639.jpg
First ignition. Started right up without complaint.

TheSOXMania

Postby TheSOXMania » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:07 am

Update 9: e-rectin' a lamp post!!

I have most of the wiring done for the lantern bar an igniter. I have a capacitor of doom that I use to generate a pulse though so it's not all bad.

Also, although it's not visible here I got a dummy photocell to plug the hole in the canopy it looks pretty darn stealthy if I do say so myself.

I also got my bracket in and decided to try my hand at this whole up cycling idea. I had this tree trunk knocking about and thought I'd turn it into a column. Went OK but it needs some aesthetic enhancement. I'm thinking faux ivy might be a cool idea. No biggie since it was basically free to make bar the bracket. I originally wanted an outreach arm but that's almost double what a bracket costs and it would require a fairly deep hole be drilled to accommodate the mains lead. I don't have a torquey enough drill for that!

On the bowl front, If either Linear or Paul's able to post I'm more than willing to pay postage + a beer fund donation as mentioned in my last comment. Either one o' yas DM me when youre not busy and we can get the ball rolling!!
Attachments
20180418_155552.jpg
Freshly wired with red and black for power and orange for igniter. All tri-rated wire.
20180419_194018.jpg
Still needs decoration to hide the mains lead and the bracket needs modding and painting but not bad.
20180419_194703.jpg
Standing proud!
20180419_194647.jpg
Day burning because why not.

Paul
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent battens and Thorn Vintage
Oldest item: 1890's Carbon Lamp

Postby Paul » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:15 am

Nice! PM sent :)

Return to “Street Lighting”