Gear Housings And Mounts?

Topics relating to lighting control gear, including magnetic & high frequency ballast and ancilliary devices such as starters, ignitors and switchgear.
Tom
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Pre 1993 Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: One of a few pip top lamps!

Gear Housings And Mounts?

Post by Tom » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:32 pm

With so much of this converting filament fittings into discharge, such as floor lamps, bulkheads, wall lights etc. I'm wondering what you guys do for housing the gear? I know screwing everything down on a block of wood as a test board is the norm on here but what about the more permanent setups excluding factory made gear housings? Heres a couple of my ideas..

For me, I'd use a decent sized cast aluminium box that you can buy from places like CPC which are either plain or finished with that 'Hammerite' grey. This would act as a good heat sink for the ballast and is easily drilled for mounting holes, fuseholder, switch and cable entry. A couple of compression type cable glands would be perfect for the mains in and lamp out cables and a good steel push button footswitch on top would be ideal for floor use!

Another would be an ally or steel benchtop power supply style case! Or for wall mounting, a steel wall enclosure, maybe a weatherproof type with a lockable door which has room inside for the gear, photocell relay base and fuse carrier a la streetlight style?
I LOVE LAMP!

FrontSideBus

Re: Gear Housings And Mounts?

Post by FrontSideBus » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:49 pm

I was going to shove some HPS & MH gear into an ABS box and either clamp it to the side of the fitting or have it at the base with the switch. Got a few cable glands that I could use too. Depending on how toasty it got I'd add some ventilation holes and/or maybe a small fan.
Regards, Mark Jones.

LinearSLI-H
Favourite Manufacturer: PHILIPS and VOSSLOH SCHWABE
Area of interest: HID and Associated control gear
Oldest item: Philips 160W MBT/U 1951

Re: Gear Housings And Mounts?

Post by LinearSLI-H » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:43 pm

When I had my `fire starter` :lol: , the table lamp was on a little , twin shelf built into brickwork, in one corner ov my living room.
I came down the wall with a piece of 1.0mm in a strip of trunking, and mounted the gear under the lower shelf of the 2, out of sight.
FEED THE MOOMIN!!