Electronic Starters - Which Is Best?

Topics relating to lighting control gear, including magnetic & high frequency ballast and ancilliary devices such as starters, ignitors and switchgear.
Tom
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Pre 1993 Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: One of a few pip top lamps!

Electronic Starters - Which Is Best?

Postby Tom » Tue May 31, 2011 8:21 pm

I've always been a big fan of electronic starters since I first saw an EFS600 Pulsestarter and just had to have one! My interest has been heightened recently after seeing this new red EFS300 rapid-start and now I want some! BUT, with a several types on the market including a rival called 'Tubesaver' which is best for our many differing tubes and fittings new and old?

I have an EFS200 18-30w running in a 3 footer which does a nice half-wave ballast rumble and the tube fires in a quickstart manner! Yet in other scenarios, there have been obstacles such as tubes going out briefly during brown-outs or when a heavy inductive load or a motor is started in the vicinty. Oh and the 'NOT SUITABLE FOR ELECTRONIC STARTERS' labels on later Thorn fittings. What's all that about?

A recent personal experience I've had is my 4' Blacklight cage fittings is rejecting EFS600s! The tube does that blinking thing that 8' 100w tubes do! Strange behaviour for a 4' 36w T8! I would like to overcome this problem, maybe try other Pulsestarters since I prefer to have reliable interference free starting tubes when close to sound equipment! I might give them 300s a go?
I LOVE LAMP!

Fitzy-Fan

Re: Electronic Starters - Which Is Best?

Postby Fitzy-Fan » Tue May 31, 2011 8:31 pm

Have you tried a MULTIPULSE UM2?

Tom
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Pre 1993 Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: One of a few pip top lamps!

Postby Tom » Tue May 31, 2011 8:48 pm

I've heard of them! Who sells 'em? ;)
I LOVE LAMP!

Fitzy-Fan

Postby Fitzy-Fan » Tue May 31, 2011 8:53 pm

Eliots recently uploaded a picture of a couple. I can send you one to try out if ya like, ive got a handfull of them. :D :D

Fitzy-Fan

Postby Fitzy-Fan » Tue May 31, 2011 9:04 pm

Alternativly, you could try one from the OKOSTART Range if you wanna be really different!! (& Colourfull!!) :lol:
http://www.mrmultitronik.de/html/eng/pr ... tarter.php

SuperSix
Favourite Manufacturer: Fitzgerald
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Mercury Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: BTH 200W Carbon Filament Lamp

Postby SuperSix » Tue May 31, 2011 9:22 pm

I should think the EFS300s would be worse for overcoming starting problems. The Multipulse UM2 appears to the best as Chris has suggested, I've only just got my hands on a couple and have been doing some testing. They're the only type available with the Multipulse system that provides several pulses per half cycle if the tube's being stubborn to start instead of one pulse per half cycle like all the others. As far as I'm aware it's the only one suitable 8' 100W tubes too! :D

There's the Faststart 300C from the same company, gives a similar start-up to an EFS300 only if the tube fails to strike, it preheats again for 0.6 seconds and has another go at starting before shutting down. It also has a 0 second reset time so it's suitable for emergency operation unlike the EFS300s which I've found just shut down in a brief interruption and you have to switch the lights off, wait for it to reset and try again.

There's more info on the company's site and you can buy them direct from them! http://www.tabelek.co.uk/product-300C-f ... tarter.asp

For me the Pulsestarter's still my favourite for general use though, they look nicer. It was after all the distinctive green can that attracted me to them in the first place ;)

Return to “Control Gear”