Which gear for 180w SOX?

Topics relating to lighting control gear, including magnetic & high frequency ballast and ancilliary devices such as starters, ignitors and switchgear.
Paul
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent battens and Thorn Vintage
Oldest item: 1890's Carbon Lamp

Which gear for 180w SOX?

Post by Paul » Wed May 21, 2014 9:05 pm

Except for the obvious proper gear, what gear would run a 180w SOX lamp and how would it be struck without blowing the arse out of the cathodes!?!

LinearSLI-H
Favourite Manufacturer: PHILIPS and VOSSLOH SCHWABE
Area of interest: HID and Associated control gear
Oldest item: Philips 160W MBT/U 1951

Re: Which gear for 180w SOX?

Post by LinearSLI-H » Wed May 21, 2014 9:39 pm

I doubt there is one, even if you got a ballast that gives, (close to), the 240 V/0.91 A, that the 180s run at, the shear length of the discharge itself would make it impossible to maintain it to run.
Its a bit like trying to run a 140watt SLI on low loss 90watt SOX gear, take out the ignitor from the circuit and the linear goes out, the ballast itself won`t run the discharge on its own.

Although Thorn made a low loss set of gear for the 135watt, for the 180 I think its autoleak or nothing?
FEED THE MOOMIN!!

Zelandeth
Favourite Manufacturer: Coughtrie
Area of interest: Bit of everything - Fluorescent mainly though

Re: Which gear for 180w SOX?

Post by Zelandeth » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:52 pm

Given that the arc voltage of a 180W SOX is in the region of 260V from memory I think you're going to struggle to drive it from anything other than autoleak gear (unless you've got a 3-phase 415V supply handy anyway!).

Imagine asking around somewhere someone would be able to dig something out. Afraid I've only got one example though which I need for the 180W SOX I have. You'd be welcome to borrow it for a bit though if you're just wanting to try out some lamps you've got.