Quickstart + HID ignitors to start T8s!

Topics relating to lighting control gear, including magnetic & high frequency ballast and ancilliary devices such as starters, ignitors and switchgear.
SuperSix
Favourite Manufacturer: Fitzgerald
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Mercury Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: BTH 200W Carbon Filament Lamp

Quickstart + HID ignitors to start T8s!

Postby SuperSix » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:07 pm

I'm determined to find a reliable way of getting Krypton T8s to start on Quickstart circuits. My latest and most successful idea is the use of a HID ignitor in the circuit to get the arc to strike once the cathodes heat up. I've tried a Tridonic 50-70W SON ignitor with a 5' 80W Quickstart circuit with some success! T8s will start as a T12 normally would at room temperature but anything colder and the ignitor doesn't seem to be able to provide a high enough voltage to strike the arc. I haven't got any single tube Quickstart ballasts now so I've not really got anything to test with. I've been using a twin 2' 40W ballast and just wiring the tube between the live output and neutral of the ballast so it's essentially the same as a proper 80W one. ;)

I need a bit of help finding some suitable ignitors please! Obviously they need to be able to strike an arc when the cathodes are hot but not when they're cold so you still get the benefits of cathode heating.

If T12s are going as the latest news suggests (mercury content) then this might be a solution! ;)

Tom
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Pre 1993 Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: One of a few pip top lamps!

Re: Quickstart + HID ignitors to start T8s!

Postby Tom » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:27 pm

This sounds very interesting! Perhaps a specific ignitor needs to be designed as a retrofit! :D
I LOVE LAMP!

Tom
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Pre 1993 Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: One of a few pip top lamps!

Postby Tom » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:41 pm

This has really got me thinking now! The boffins behind things like ignitors and electronic starters should develop a suitable retrofit device which will ignite T8s that can be wired into existing Quickstart and SRS fittings on site with the fitting in situ. This would save a lot of unnecessary scrappage of perfectly good old fittings!!

With regards to the above experimenting, I wonder if any SOX ignitors would suffice? You need to find a universal 20/40/80w Quickstart transformer so all 3 tubes sizes can be tested just by using different ballast and starter switch. Upon switch-on, the starter closes and preheats the tube's cathode filaments. Upon opening, the magnetic field within the ballast collapses, causing a voltage pulse which strikes the tube. This is often repeated twice or more, causing the distinctive blinking at startup.">switchstart ballasts in the circuit! ;)
I LOVE LAMP!

SuperSix
Favourite Manufacturer: Fitzgerald
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Mercury Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: BTH 200W Carbon Filament Lamp

Postby SuperSix » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:52 pm

Well an ignitor for Quickstart would be simple and would give fittings a new lease of life! SRS would be a bit more tricky though, you've got the resonant circuit which I should imagine is pretty sensitive to any changes. I wonder if a SOX ignitor would be better at the job? :D

Return to “Control Gear”