Philips 1000w choke?

Topics relating to lighting control gear, including magnetic & high frequency ballast and ancilliary devices such as starters, ignitors and switchgear.
FrontSideBus

Philips 1000w choke?

Postby FrontSideBus » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:39 am

I'm after gear to run 1kw MV/MH lamps and I've been looking on CP Lighting and I noticed they have Philips BHL 1000 L78 230/240V HP-207's listed for £170 ex VAT.
But they also have BSN 1000 L78 230/240V HP-257 listed for £16 ex VAT... is there something I'm missing? I know one is for son and the other mv/mh but that price can't be right surely?
Regards, Mark Jones.

Ash
Area of interest: Any electricity and computer tech

Re: Philips 1000w choke?

Postby Ash » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:48 pm

The BHL is for 7.5A lamps - higher voltage arc lamps like HPI (MH) and mercury

The BSN is for 10.3A lamps - lower voltage arc lamps like low voltage HPS

However 1000W MH and HPS lamps exist that have different ratings - like MH lamp that have the HPS specs, and HPS lamps that use autotransformer ballast with arc voltage over 200V and curent about 4A - that are not compatible with any of those 2 ballasts

So check for sure what lamp exactly you want to power with it

16 £ looks about reasonable for either ballast (at least in the same order). 170 £ is like 10x overpriced

FrontSideBus

Postby FrontSideBus » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:26 pm

I know what type it's for I just don't get the price gap.
Regards, Mark Jones.

frutas
Favourite Manufacturer: gec and philips
Area of interest: Street lighting
Oldest item: Siemens Sieray MB/V

Postby frutas » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:38 pm

Probably a supply and demand thing. Mercury ballasts aren't that popular, but the 1Kw MH/SON is used for such illegal activities as hydroponics and other industrial/architectural lighting.

Kev
Favourite Manufacturer: Atlas and CourtneyPope
Area of interest: Discharge and Fluorescent

Postby Kev » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:32 pm

Ive just searched their site. MUST be a missprint. But i would hurry up and buy one!

FrontSideBus

Postby FrontSideBus » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:34 pm

Just placed one on order, wonder if they will sell it to me at that price!
Regards, Mark Jones.

Ash

Postby Ash » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:51 pm

Frutas - I really doubt a 1KW MH is popular for hydro grass growing. There are very few people who would grow such quantities (if there were more, there would be more grass than demand for it - which is obviously not the case). they are definitely not influencing much the market of ballasts

The small growers probably dont have anything above 400W. and it is BRIGHT - more than sunlight at close range

FrontSideBus

Postby FrontSideBus » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:30 am

You'd be surprised! There have been instances where police have raided houses to find EVERY room full of cannabis plants and all the gear!
Regards, Mark Jones.

Danny
Favourite Manufacturer: GEC
Area of interest: Street lights fluorescent discharge
Oldest item: 120v 60w carbon lamp 1905

Postby Danny » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:17 am

I think the majority of people use 400W & 600W hydrophonics kits to grow cannabis and bypass the electric meter

Ash

Postby Ash » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:57 pm

A house where every room is full of grass is a massive grass factory - that manufactures for marketing. Now stop and think : How much such factories are there ? I think very few actually. If there were more, there would be more grass grown than the entire population of people can smoke in a given time. Nobody needs this much of grass

So those factories are too few to be a significant part of the 1KW+ ballasts user base

However who is silently growing for himself, i'd think does not use more than maybe 400W and thats a stretch. even 250W at close distance (as in - floodlight in the face) is brighter than sunlight. For a lil' private pot they probably dont need more than a couple CFLs

sailormoon01uk

Postby sailormoon01uk » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:52 pm

Actually have a read of THIS and more recently THIS

Ash

Postby Ash » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:41 am

Article 1 shows a wall with 24 ballasts and article 2 ~12 light fixtures. The lamps are indeed 1KW (seen from the ballast size in 1 and length of the arc tube in 2). So average 18 ballasts. I think the news have interest to post pics of the largest catches they find, and the average in fact is less. But lets assume 18

And there is no guarantee that they all use the 1KW lamps either, for all i know the 400W gear and lamps are way easier to get. But lets ignore this

And not all ballasts in use are Philips. A lot are from other companies. But lets ignore this too

24 farms caught in 6 months, 18 ballasts in each of them (all are 1KW, and all are Philips) are 432 ballasts. And lets assume that new factories are built (and ballasts purchased) at the same rate existing ones are discovered. Are 864 ballasts/year. Is this all they sell in total ? So few ?

I dont see how grass growing factories can be driving 2 similar ballasts to have 10X cost difference between them

Jack_T
Favourite Manufacturer: Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent lighting

Postby Jack_T » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:51 am

Ash wrote:Article 1 shows a wall with 24 ballasts and article 2 ~12 light fixtures. The lamps are indeed 1KW (seen from the ballast size in 1 and length of the arc tube in 2). So average 18 ballasts. I think the news have interest to post pics of the largest catches they find, and the average in fact is less. But lets assume 18

And there is no guarantee that they all use the 1KW lamps either, for all i know the 400W gear and lamps are way easier to get. But lets ignore this

And not all ballasts in use are Philips. A lot are from other companies. But lets ignore this too

24 farms caught in 6 months, 18 ballasts in each of them (all are 1KW, and all are Philips) are 432 ballasts. And lets assume that new factories are built (and ballasts purchased) at the same rate existing ones are discovered. Are 864 ballasts/year. Is this all they sell in total ? So few ?

I dont see how grass growing factories can be driving 2 similar ballasts to have 10X cost difference between them

I don't really agree with your idea... MOST of the factories aren't caught... And according to mum (who works for the police) they catch AT LEAST 1 a day in Leeds alone, and bring in BIN LINERS full of cannabis. So they will be selling LOADS.

sailormoon01uk

Postby sailormoon01uk » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:05 am

I also have to agree with Jack as the articles are only ones discovered by Mereseyside Police Alone, not within the United Kingdom, Europe or World wide, or it dosen't actually mention All the Cannabis Farms Discovered, example ones discovered covering growing Cannabis for personal use say in a small cupboard list using a 70w SON / HPS lamps.">SON-T lamp etc.

Also don’t forget the people who are buying the Ballasts Lamps etc for legitimate reasons example Electricians who are using them for Floodlighting, High Mast and High bay Lighting, Local Councils, and even the Transport sector, for Floodlighting and High Mast Lighting on Motorways, Railways Bus Terminals, Ports/Harbours and Airports etc, Genuine Growers for Large scale Growing in commercial Greenhouses and Farms, as well as us Lighting Collectors, as more and more of them are sold the lower the costs would be,

Re the Cannabis factories, the ones which are discovered are the ones involved with Fires, and other means example Police intelligence and tip offs by the public, and yes it's only the tip of the Iceberg as they are caught by people making mistake, example as the new article cover by electric meters and fused being bypassed, and causing fires, or by the police helicopters flying over the premises seeing hot spots, but what about sites which are well protected example where thermal insulation has been used, or within a room of a large building where the heat can be dissipated, and the Cannabis factories which are underground in Basements, cellars etc, they are the ones which either take years to be discovered or never be found at all,

The Plus side of this activity has reduced the initial Cost of Lamps and Gear as I remember in the mid 1980's a 1000w SON / HPS lamps.">SON-T SON, elliptical bulb with a diffusing coating, can be used in the same fitting as mercury lamps, but require different control gear. 2/ SON / HPS lamps.">SON-T, tubular clear hard glass for floodlighting. 3/ SON-TD, tubular double ended clear quartz, the length and cap are equivalent to those of tungsten halogen lamps.">High Pressure Sodium Lamp was over £200 today you can get them for £20 to £40 even cheaper on E-bay (Sometimes)

The Negative side Cannabis has Blighted our Inner Cities with Crime, Yobs off their heads, shooting each other over being ripped off or selling in another gang members area etc and us genuine members of the public having to pay for Damaged Properties, as well as the use of the Police, Fire and Ambulance Services when things go wrong, also if you look at the cost of the Electricity, not only are you paying for what you use, you are also paying for Damaged Services, Meters and wiring etc as well as the Loss of revenue these Cannabis Farms are stealing, it's why more and more Smart Metering is being employed in the UK to reduce meter tampering, and abstraction of Electricity.

Ash

Postby Ash » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:41 pm

A small private grow has less chances to be caught in the 1st place. It does not sell so there is no buisness going on which you can track, it does not use much power so the meter is not bypassed (so less risk of electrical trouble leading to discovery) and so on. Therefore i expect the ones that are not caught, to be mostly with less lighting

Even the ones which are caught - Ask mom if the average size is really like the pictures in the news. I think it is not. Becuse for the police both a 24KW factory and a 150W cupboard count as a catch, but for the news sites a picture of 24KW factory is allways preferred over some lil cupboard - so only they will be posted

Sailormoon's second point is exactly the point i am trying to make : There are way more ballasts of the same model going into other uses than for pot growing. This is in reply to Frutas's initial post on the subect of grass growing :

The ballasts are not Mercury and HPS/MH (which would obviously driver the nmercury ballast out of demand), but Mercury/MH and HPS - which would make both quite demanded

For most architectural uses at this power, i see both 1KW lamps in use about equally (HPS common in high masts on roads, and MH common in floodlights). So i'd expect the MH ballast to be about the same demand as the HPS, or even a bit higher as floodlights are more often used in rough conditions which are likely to damage the fixture, requiring a new one

So from that post it looks like the factor that'd drive up the demand for HPS ballasts is pot growing. And this is what i find unlikely - Are really the demands for HPS : road lighting+pot so much more than MH : floodlighting+industrial lighting ??

Now besides that, pot growing is the one which is on the run and endangered, so while the ballast life in a high mast light is typically 20 years (untill the fixture is replaced), in a pot factory it would be no more than couple years (untill it is discovered and seized), so more ballasts go in that direction as new factories are built elsewhere. If that would be true, it would mean that MOST 1kw hps ballasts made are going into pot factories. This is ridiculous

As for the crime part of it - i think the effect is due to the fact of it being illegal in the 1st place. Due to this fact, illegal business is building around pot. And illegal business is the cause of evil - paying for gangs, for terrorists, causing other crime to happen to pay for it, and so on

If it would not be criminalized it would be the same as cigarettes. Yeah they kill people but only those who choose to smoke them. When did you hear last time of shootings in the streets for cigarettes, and about houses burning down and killing people in fires due to illegal tobacco grows

FrontSideBus

Postby FrontSideBus » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:08 am

Awwww, the've just rang me up to explain that there has been an update error on the website and the decimal point is in the wrong place and if I still want it. :D Worth a try though.

Is there anywhere I can get a 1kw choke for less then 50quid?
Regards, Mark Jones.

Andy
Favourite Manufacturer: Thorn Atlas Mazda Omega
Area of interest: Mercury Vapour and Fluorescent
Oldest item: Siemens Sieray MB/V

Postby Andy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:01 pm

I saw a Tridonic SON/MH ballast on ebay yesterday currently going for 99p with a couple of days to go!

sailormoon01uk

Postby sailormoon01uk » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:16 pm

I noticed they corrected their mistake quickly, Re the Ballast on E-bay for 99p, there is 2 bids and is now £5.50 plus £15.00 Postage, see HERE.

Ash

Postby Ash » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:47 pm

Thats still reasonable. If i convert the prices here to GBP a 36W Switch Start is around 5 GBP and big HID ballast will be probably around 15-20 GBP

FrontSideBus

Postby FrontSideBus » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:59 pm

sailormoon_01_uk wrote:I noticed they corrected their mistake quickly, Re the Ballast on E-bay for 99p, there is 2 bids and is now £5.50 plus £15.00 Postage, see HERE.

Yeah mines the second bid.
Regards, Mark Jones.

sailormoon01uk

Postby sailormoon01uk » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:08 pm

Hi Mark

Good luck mate

All the Best

Colin

FrontSideBus

Postby FrontSideBus » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:47 pm

Bugger! Was at work when it ended and I lost out by 50 frigging pence!
Regards, Mark Jones.

sailormoon01uk

Postby sailormoon01uk » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:05 pm

Hi Mark

Maybe you may get lucky next time as he said in the Listing he has FOUR, and has Listed one to see what he gets for it

All the Best

Colin

FrontSideBus

Postby FrontSideBus » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:35 pm

I'll keep an eye out.
Regards, Mark Jones.

Return to “Control Gear”