One of the HF undercabinet lights failed.

Topics relating to lighting control gear, including magnetic & high frequency ballast and ancilliary devices such as starters, ignitors and switchgear.
MetalHalideHater

One of the HF undercabinet lights failed.

Postby MetalHalideHater » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:49 pm

It had been flickering for a while, then just died. Lamps was incredibly blackened, but started on a 40w SS ballast fine. On opening up the fitting, one of the three legged transistor things had burning under neat, which I presume caused the problem. Anyhow, it'll probably be replaced by SS, if any SS fitting fits in the space. What's the thinnest two foot SS fitting?

Tom
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Pre 1993 Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: One of a few pip top lamps!

Re: One of the HF undercabinet lights failed.

Postby Tom » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:59 pm

Your best bet would be a Fitzgerald Slimline Lightpack or a Thorn Arrowslim, the Fitzy being the better of the two! The narrowest ballast and starter switch. Upon switch-on, the starter closes and preheats the tube's cathode filaments. Upon opening, the magnetic field within the ballast collapses, causing a voltage pulse which strikes the tube. This is often repeated twice or more, causing the distinctive blinking at startup.">switchstart 2 footer, if you can find one would be a Linolite Hi-Line. These were also good little fittings but not sure if they're still made! eBay is the best bet for any of these!
I LOVE LAMP!

Danny
Favourite Manufacturer: GEC
Area of interest: Street lights fluorescent discharge
Oldest item: 120v 60w carbon lamp 1905

Postby Danny » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:03 pm

There is a few Slim T5 SS Battens on Ebay at the minute see here >> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fluorescent-1 ... 12cb43fc... He has a couple Listed

Todd-uk
Area of interest: Fluorescent lamps

Postby Todd-uk » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:32 pm

MetalHalideHater wrote:It had been flickering for a while, then just died. Lamps was incredibly blackened, but started on a 40w SS ballast fine. On opening up the fitting, one of the three legged transistor things had burning under neat, which I presume caused the problem. Anyhow, it'll probably be replaced by SS, if any SS fitting fits in the space. What's the thinnest two foot SS fitting?

You should have changed the tube first sign of flickering and prevented a ruined ballast

Kev
Favourite Manufacturer: Atlas and CourtneyPope
Area of interest: Discharge and Fluorescent

Postby Kev » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:27 am

Electronic ballast should have auto shut down. It is obviously reached EOL. MLP13 would be a cool replacment MHH

MetalHalideHater

Postby MetalHalideHater » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:19 pm

@Frutas-The tube is working fine in a new one.

Danny
Favourite Manufacturer: GEC
Area of interest: Street lights fluorescent discharge
Oldest item: 120v 60w carbon lamp 1905

Postby Danny » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:30 pm

@MHH the 3 legged Transitor things seem to be what has failed on 2 of my dead HF Ballasts (one a Quickfail from Kev) if i can get that Component Replaced, I can repair the Osram Quickfail atleast

Return to “Control Gear”