Ballast for 14W t12 tube

Topics relating to lighting control gear, including magnetic & high frequency ballast and ancilliary devices such as starters, ignitors and switchgear.
WHERESTHECUEBALLGOIN
Oldest item: Cryselco Carbon

Ballast for 14W t12 tube

Postby WHERESTHECUEBALLGOIN » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:35 pm

I have a little 14W t12 tube in deluxe warm white that I would like to start using. I’ll build a mounting board for it, but I need gear. The operating voltage and current aren’t quite the same as 15W, although it will run on one of those I’d like to do it properly. I’m not averse to using an electronic box to drive it (longer life) but would prefer to do it with magnetic gear, however acquiring a 14W ballast on eBay appears to be a non starter. Are there other gears that are a very close match for this tube?

Tom
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Pre 1993 Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: One of a few pip top lamps!

Re: Ballast for 14W t12 tube

Postby Tom » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:14 pm

A 15w ballast is probably your best option TBH. The 14w T12 was originally filament lamp ballasted so may be worth investigating what lamp would be the best match. I've seen 14w T8 aquarium tubes on sale in the past but I'm pretty sure they would be running on 15w gear.
I LOVE LAMP!

MissRiaElaine
Favourite Manufacturer: Philips
Area of interest: Discharge lighting [mainly mercury and LPS]
Oldest item: GE 1950 1000W incandescent

Postby MissRiaElaine » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:21 pm

I have a couple of electronic ballasts for 14-35W T5 lamps, would one of those work..?

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/galler ... pid=141577
--
Much love,
Ria in Aberdeen

WHERESTHECUEBALLGOIN

Postby WHERESTHECUEBALLGOIN » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:34 pm

Different arc tube voltages/current unfortunately Ria. And yes Tom that’s what I thought :/

The spec isn’t that different, I think there’s only about 0.05amps and something like 10 volts in it but when you consider that’s still a sizeable proportion of the overall power it requires I’m cautious about doing it.

I suppose I could look into the viability of using a 40/60/75 watt incandescent (acquiring the actual ballast lamp probably very difficult) but that’s incredibly lossy and would take away from the actual lamp colour itself. I wonder if there are any carbon filament matches? 130W makes an ace ballast for a 20W tube, I have such a setup and it doesn’t detract from the tube light while making a really pretty way to run it.

Zelandeth
Favourite Manufacturer: Coughtrie
Area of interest: Bit of everything - Fluorescent mainly though

Postby Zelandeth » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:34 pm

I have to admit that when I went to run the couple of 14W tubes I've got here I just used a CFL ballast with the same wattage.

Overall circuit power seemed to be pretty close and brightness looked in line with what I'd expect. Worked well enough for getting photos, spectra etc anyway even if it maybe wasn't spot on - and obviously the somewhat rough starting behaviour would be less ideal if I was actually using it regularly. In my case I was only lighting it long enough to fully warm up and get photos of though.

While short lived in their intended application, I've had surprisingly good luck with remotely mounted CFL ballasts driving standard tubes. Had a 15W T8 running on one out of a GE Biax CFL that got smashed for several years daily, ballast used to run stone cold and the tube still looked new when it was "retired" on account of moving house so having nowhere for the fixture to live.

WHERESTHECUEBALLGOIN

Postby WHERESTHECUEBALLGOIN » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:45 am

Zelandeth wrote:I have to admit that when I went to run the couple of 14W tubes I've got here I just used a CFL ballast with the same wattage.

Overall circuit power seemed to be pretty close and brightness looked in line with what I'd expect. Worked well enough for getting photos, spectra etc anyway even if it maybe wasn't spot on - and obviously the somewhat rough starting behaviour would be less ideal if I was actually using it regularly. In my case I was only lighting it long enough to fully warm up and get photos of though.

While short lived in their intended application, I've had surprisingly good luck with remotely mounted CFL ballasts driving standard tubes. Had a 15W T8 running on one out of a GE Biax CFL that got smashed for several years daily, ballast used to run stone cold and the tube still looked new when it was "retired" on account of moving house so having nowhere for the fixture to live.

Aha! Don't know why I didn't think of that. I have a 14W Philips genie I could gut. The running characteristics will be different as the tube is thinner and the arc length is different, but electronic CFL ballasts seem to be very good to tubes - I have a SOX lantern I retrofitted with an 11W CFL ballast that drives the lamp at a low enough current to gently light a room without blasting it in bright orange light, but it doesn't seem to be causing adverse wear as I've had that going for at least 3 years now.

XmasLightGuy
Area of interest: Linear Fluorescent

Postby XmasLightGuy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:11 pm

Here in the US its the same ballast for both 14w T12 and 15w T12 (weather you're talking magnetic or electronic)..

WHERESTHECUEBALLGOIN

Postby WHERESTHECUEBALLGOIN » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:18 pm

XmasLightGuy wrote:Here in the US its the same ballast for both 14w T12 and 15w T12 (weather you're talking magnetic or electronic)..

That's odd. The operating specs (voltage, current) are different. Unless it's just accepted that it'll work and run an acceptable lifetime on a 15W ballast.

XmasLightGuy
Area of interest: Linear Fluorescent

Postby XmasLightGuy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:03 am

WHERESTHECUEBALLGOIN wrote:
XmasLightGuy wrote:Here in the US its the same ballast for both 14w T12 and 15w T12 (weather you're talking magnetic or electronic)..

That's odd. The operating specs (voltage, current) are different. Unless it's just accepted that it'll work and run an acceptable lifetime on a 15W ballast.

Yep, for magnetic its just accepted that the 14w will be a but overdriven / or (more likely) the 15w will be a bit underdriven. Then they only have to make one ballast type.

Tom
ATL Admin

Postby Tom » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:37 am

For many years it was common practice to run 15w tubes on 20w ballasts here. It's even listed in the old Thorn catalogues and Thorn even marked some ballasts as 15/20w. So there shouldn't be any harm in running the 14w on a 15w ballast. I wonder if the 28w 2D ballast would be good for running a series pair? That might be worth a try!
I LOVE LAMP!

WHERESTHECUEBALLGOIN

Postby WHERESTHECUEBALLGOIN » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:45 am

Only have one lamp. I can build the circuit though knowing that a 15W should give acceptable results. I've tried it on one in the past, by un-clipping the lamp holders of an arrow slim 15W and bodging it that way.

Surprised to hear about running 15W tubes on 20W ballasts, would have thought lifespan would suffer on that?

Tom
ATL Admin

Postby Tom » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:35 pm

Never known it to have much an affect on lifespans. I don't think Thorn would've spec'd it if tube life and performance was compromised. (The gear in the original 15w Viewpoint shaver light is a 20w QuickStart ballast) Can't be any worse than running a 6w T5 or even a 4w on an 8w ballast which again, is standard practice but personally, I prefer a series pair of 4w tubelets if I'm using those little chaps on the mains. And then we have the 5, 7, 9 and 11w PL-S all sharing the same ballast.
I LOVE LAMP!

WHERESTHECUEBALLGOIN

Postby WHERESTHECUEBALLGOIN » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:00 pm

Aye, right you are. Well, I'll do some investigations.

Meanwhile brace yourselves; I have about 6 months worth of stuff to upload to the gallery...

EDIT: saw this. what an awesome photo: atl/displayimage.php?pid=14100&message_id=27697a65bbed0a1e5514b2c3f90d08eb&message_icon=info#cpgMessageBlock

Got me thinking; I have a 60W one of those incandescent lamps. bet that'd run the 14W tube alright. Might give that a go once I work out the viability.

Return to “Control Gear”