Ballast for 14W t12 tube

Topics relating to lighting control gear, including magnetic & high frequency ballast and ancilliary devices such as starters, ignitors and switchgear.
WHERESTHECUEBALLGOIN
Oldest item: Cryselco Carbon

Ballast for 14W t12 tube

Postby WHERESTHECUEBALLGOIN » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:35 pm

I have a little 14W t12 tube in deluxe warm white that I would like to start using. I’ll build a mounting board for it, but I need gear. The operating voltage and current aren’t quite the same as 15W, although it will run on one of those I’d like to do it properly. I’m not averse to using an electronic box to drive it (longer life) but would prefer to do it with magnetic gear, however acquiring a 14W ballast on eBay appears to be a non starter. Are there other gears that are a very close match for this tube?

Tom
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Pre 1993 Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: One of a few pip top lamps!

Re: Ballast for 14W t12 tube

Postby Tom » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:14 pm

A 15w ballast is probably your best option TBH. The 14w T12 was originally filament lamp ballasted so may be worth investigating what lamp would be the best match. I've seen 14w T8 aquarium tubes on sale in the past but I'm pretty sure they would be running on 15w gear.
I LOVE LAMP!

MissRiaElaine
Favourite Manufacturer: Philips
Area of interest: Discharge lighting [mainly mercury and LPS]
Oldest item: 1950 1000W GE incandescent

Postby MissRiaElaine » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:21 pm

I have a couple of electronic ballasts for 14-35W T5 lamps, would one of those work..?

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/galler ... pid=141577
--
Much love,
Ria in Aberdeen

WHERESTHECUEBALLGOIN
Oldest item: Cryselco Carbon

Postby WHERESTHECUEBALLGOIN » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:34 pm

Different arc tube voltages/current unfortunately Ria. And yes Tom that’s what I thought :/

The spec isn’t that different, I think there’s only about 0.05amps and something like 10 volts in it but when you consider that’s still a sizeable proportion of the overall power it requires I’m cautious about doing it.

I suppose I could look into the viability of using a 40/60/75 watt incandescent (acquiring the actual ballast lamp probably very difficult) but that’s incredibly lossy and would take away from the actual lamp colour itself. I wonder if there are any carbon filament matches? 130W makes an ace ballast for a 20W tube, I have such a setup and it doesn’t detract from the tube light while making a really pretty way to run it.

Return to “Control Gear”