Death To PIR Halogen Floods!!

Discussions about commercial and domestic lighting fittings and fixtures (not streetlighting).
Tom
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Pre 1993 Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: One of a few pip top lamps!

Death To PIR Halogen Floods!!

Post by Tom » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:35 pm

I know PIR halogens aren't very well liked on here. They've been falling out of favour with me rapidly over the years since, as a lorry driver, I am constantly being dazzled by the sodding things whilst driving at night/early mornings since they are often mounted at cab height!

However, today, my hatred has been well and truly confirmed. My special hatred, my imaginary DEF CON 1! Here's why...

This afternoon I was running behind schedule and hence had to deliver to one of my regular drops in the dark. A tight old place I've been frequenting for around 5 years which involves reversing my wagon down a steep slope between 2 buildings. It is tight but I've got it off to a Tee now. In the dark it was still good as I could still see ok with my reversing lights, until WHAP!!! Bloody 500w PIR flood goes up and totally screws up my vision! Nothing but sudden bright light and pitch black shadows which totally hindered my manoeuvre! Unloading wasn't much better in this light either. Just shadows and the bloody thing kept going out after 10 secs.

These lights really are totally unsuitable for commercial use in my opinion. I even had a rant at my customer and told him he should get some proper outdoor lighting installed! 70w SONs sprang to mind! Upon leaving site, I was very tempted to edge my lorry towards the offending light and tear it off the wall as I drove off but my better judgement kicked in! Incidentally , I have seen many an outdoor fitting from walls by HGVs!!
I LOVE LAMP!

FrontSideBus

Re: Death To PIR Halogen Floods!!

Post by FrontSideBus » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:58 pm

I've took mine down and put a proper MV flood in its place. :D
Regards, Mark Jones.

Paul
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent battens and Thorn Vintage
Oldest item: 1890's Carbon Lamp

Post by Paul » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:27 am

I think to be fair, as with most things, they are fine in the right situation. This quite clearly wasn't one LOL

Danny
Favourite Manufacturer: GEC
Area of interest: Street lights fluorescent discharge
Oldest item: 120v 60w carbon lamp 1905

Post by Danny » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:26 am

I took my 150W PIR Halogen down back in august as it rusted up... I put a Dusk - Dawn Light in its place with a Philips SL9 in it

Kev
Favourite Manufacturer: Atlas and CourtneyPope
Area of interest: Discharge and Fluorescent

Post by Kev » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:30 pm

I Try to advise my customers NOT to use them under most circumstance however today i must confess i DID install a 150W Halogen PIR Flood. This was because the farmer who i was working for (Very large commercial farm) Just wanted a small light that will come on when the girls go down to see their horses. It was a greenbrook and i do not expect it to still be working in 6 months! lol

LinearSLI-H
Favourite Manufacturer: PHILIPS and VOSSLOH SCHWABE
Area of interest: HID and Associated control gear
Oldest item: Philips 160W MBT/U 1951

Post by LinearSLI-H » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:34 pm

My neighbours either side of me, put these `tools of the devil` things up, then proceeded to moan about what a nighmare they are to set up right!

NO **** SHERLOCK!!,....get rid of it, and have a proper light up.

Lighting, IMHO, has to be dusk til dawn, or nothing, why have a light that comes on when a prowler, (cat, dog, owl or other night critter), walks under it, its like having a car alarm going off at 3 in the morning, no one gets up to see whos car is being broke into, you just lay there thinking "I wish they would shut that sodding thing off"!!! :lol:
FEED THE MOOMIN!!

sailormoon01uk

Post by sailormoon01uk » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:50 pm

To be honest they should be Banned, as they are a nusance, all it takes is a cat to walk along the wall, even the Central Heating Boiler to kick in, then on they come, when this happens it's like a Nuclear Bomb Detonating, everywhere is flooded on instant White Light, what annoys me is most proples Gardens are 3 metres x 5 metres or less, so why do they insist of having 500 watt Halogens installed, they are too bright for a small area, if anything why dont they fit Lights which stay on as you get used to them, say Mercury, Sodium or Metal Halide Floodlights for Large Gardens and Photocell Controlled Compact Fluorescents for Small Gardens, also my pet hate is when people fit these Blibers on the front of their houses and when you walk, cycle or drive past then after dark, Yep they swich on, surely this could be reported for endagering Traffic and Life especially if someone is driving down a poorly lit street the sudden Blinding Light destracts the driver of a car, which could lose control and hit a Pedesrian, Object or another Vehicle.

What ***** me off too is we know what Lamps Lighting and Gear are to be Banned and yet these Blinders may be exempt from the Bans,

At least look at one Positive thing about these Lights, Is when they get their Electric Bills and they are astronomical in Price, one of my Neighbours got a Bill for £385.69 due to their PIR Floodlight kept swiching on during the night every night.

FrontSideBus

Post by FrontSideBus » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:15 pm

The house across the road from me had one at the front of his house. Used to flash on and off all night and I seriously considered shooting the damned thing... :lol: Think the sensor busted up as it doesn't work any more.
Regards, Mark Jones.

sailormoon01uk

Post by sailormoon01uk » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:35 am

I noticed this with PIR lights after awhile the PIR (Passive Infra Red) detectors fail, however people still tend to install them, I agree they should be shot out, I wonder how many people have took action over these PIR Floodlight's, I know the Council can take people to court under the Light Tresspass and Nusance Light Laws. but to date, I have never heard of anyone being summonsed to court

LinearSLI-H
Favourite Manufacturer: PHILIPS and VOSSLOH SCHWABE
Area of interest: HID and Associated control gear
Oldest item: Philips 160W MBT/U 1951

Post by LinearSLI-H » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:02 am

My brother in law has a `card` meter for electric, and another quirk about PIR halogens is, when his credit runs out, and he has to switch to emergency until he gets another card, his blinder goes on to override and you can`t turn it off, (unles its disconnected).
So then you have a 500watt dayburner until the cell sorts itself out!

Going back to what Colin says, yes, if there are to be lamp banns, why are these things escaping it, "you can have a 500watt outside light on your house, but NOT 5 x 100watt GLS lamps IN your house", that don`t make much sense to me? :?
FEED THE MOOMIN!!

Kev
Favourite Manufacturer: Atlas and CourtneyPope
Area of interest: Discharge and Fluorescent

Post by Kev » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:48 pm

Or an 8 foot fluorescent in your garage???

Paul
ATL Admin
Area of interest: Fluorescent battens and Thorn Vintage
Oldest item: 1890's Carbon Lamp

Post by Paul » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:50 pm

You don't expect these bans to make sense do you? They're implemented by politicians and bureaucrats, not people that actually know what they're talking about!

sailormoon01uk

Post by sailormoon01uk » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:11 pm

Hi Paul

I agree, I bet you most can't even wire a plug, never mind the issues with modern lighting technology

All the Best for Christmas

Colin

FrontSideBus

Post by FrontSideBus » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:16 pm

Heh it would be fun to see the results of a general public poll on wiring plugs. :lol:

Too bad part p courses are so expensive.
Regards, Mark Jones.

Danny

Post by Danny » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:19 pm

These things are a Nuisance, one of my neighbours has one on the front of his shed, that points directly through my back bedroom window, and one attatched to his house, he has the timer set for about 10 minutes so if he walks under it it will not go off for about 10 minutes, it is very annoying when you look out of the window on a night and that thing is blearing in, the damn things must be about 500/600watt, theres just no need for it, i am tempted to throw a brick at the nuisance one... The neighbour a few doors up and me have done the Right thing, we both have Dusk-Dawn Bulkheads attatched to our housesm Mine has a 9Watt PHILIPS SL in it and the his looks to have a 11Watt CFL in it.

I used to have a 150Watt Cheap B&Q flood on my house but after 8 months it rusted up that badly i had to smack it off with a hammer!... I had to be careful of the lamp LOL as i wanted that

FrontSideBus

Post by FrontSideBus » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:56 pm

I wonder how long would last on a microwave transformer? :D
Regards, Mark Jones.

MetalHalideHater

Post by MetalHalideHater » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:35 pm

There's a furniture shop near me which has 500watters mounted at 1.5 m about ground level - perfect for blinding drivers or those trying to walk into the shop. Also, they only have one screw each, so they're all spinning over.

Jack_T
Area of interest: Fluorescent lighting

Post by Jack_T » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:08 am

They're very cheap to buy, but it really is a false economy, as you don't get much for your electricity really! And they're also pretty useless at detecting me when I'm chasing my dog around at 12am to try and make her come in from the garden! :P

Danny

Post by Danny » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:06 am

LOL @ Jack... Yes they are not the best! i had mine up for 6 months, it rusted that much i had to hammer & Chisel the thing off.. I now have something 1000000X better up, a nice Bulkhead with PHILIPS 9W SL running Dusk - Dawn since 13 August... had no bother with it at all :D

Jack_T
Area of interest: Fluorescent lighting

Post by Jack_T » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:22 am

Danny wrote:LOL @ Jack... Yes they are not the best! i had mine up for 6 months, it rusted that much i had to hammer & Chisel the thing off.. I now have something 1000000X better up, a nice Bulkhead with PHILIPS 9W SL running Dusk - Dawn since 13 August... had no bother with it at all :D
Sounds like a brilliant idea! I just wish my bloody dog would do as she's told!

FrontSideBus

Post by FrontSideBus » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:06 pm

I was reading in the paper that a few people are trying to ban these massive watt "Rottweiler lights". Good on em I say!
Regards, Mark Jones.

Danny

Post by Danny » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:30 am

Mam & Dad's 200W PIR Halogen that has been disconnected for the past few months is set to Disappear in the next few days for that 11W PL-S Vaux Pub light. I might bring it home tonight, Re-Spray it and convert it to 80W Mercury vapour first though. It will be on either a Part night SS9. Or preferably a 2 Part Part night PNQ photocell so i can ajust the setting... I would rather one of my GEC ZD1172A 35W SOX Wall Lanterns up tho!

Tom
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Pre 1993 Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: One of a few pip top lamps!

Post by Tom » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:01 pm

These lights aren't so evil when 150w lamps are used! Also I'd like to see more of them R7s CFL jobs in use as these do take the fierceness away! The Megaman version should be a safe bet!

Funny how the linear halogens seem to have escaped the bans! Anyone remember the days when K1 500 watters were an expensive lamp? And cheap non brands are less than a quid? I do like these lamps in their own right but I wouldn't be sorry to see them disappear off the supermarket shelves. In all honesty, the 500w K1 should've remained a lamp for professional use and never have made it into the hands of the stupid Great British public....
I LOVE LAMP!

robtdci
Favourite Manufacturer: GEC and AEI and Old Skool Thorn
Area of interest: Mostly Discharge and incandescent lighting

Post by robtdci » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:16 am

When I was a student,I replaced a few halogen security lights for my neighbours as they were unreliable, failing after only a few years. In addition to sensor failure, I often found that 'arcing' or possibly corrosion occurs at the contacts of the double ended halogen lamps, and failure in security lamps seems to be due to this rather than the lamp filament burning out. Some of the latest security lamps don't seem to include a 'lux' adjustment, and so operate when it is not dark enough.

I have a seperate PIR sensor bought from Maplin in 1992 which is still going strong and controls PAR 38 80W lamp. Did originally control double ended halogen, but apart from being too bright, I got fed up of having to replace the lamp every few years due to the 'arcing contacts' problem.

versalift09
Area of interest: Street Lighting

Post by versalift09 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:05 pm

First thing I did when we moved into this place was switch the damn 500w halogen PIR flood off until I got something else! Although it is in fact a new 500w halogen PIR flood, it has one of the 24w CFL retrofit lamps in. Awesome buy IMHO. Only comes on when needed, and light is ample without lighting up the whole street. Will see about lifespan, but to be fair it's still goina be preferable to the gash 500w :)
Still deciding what lighting to put at the back; MBF/Fluoro/SOX/CFL i'm just too spoiled for choice! All night, part night, timeclock, photocell.. I mean it's a right puzzler ;)