Asbestos in Netalines!

Discussions about commercial and domestic lighting fittings and fixtures (not streetlighting).
SuperSix
Favourite Manufacturer: Fitzgerald
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Mercury Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: BTH 200W Carbon Filament Lamp

Asbestos in Netalines!

Postby SuperSix » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:16 pm

Hmm, I was just looking at my third Netaline and wondering what exactly they used to insulate the resistor. The outer woven sheath appears to be fibre glass but after I removed one end cap there's a second inside layer of white asbestos! I thought I should probably stick this up on here as a warning really to fellow collectors. Of course the Netaline's are staying put :D .

Paul
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent battens and Thorn Vintage
Oldest item: 1890's Carbon Lamp

Re: Asbestos in Netalines!

Postby Paul » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:29 am

Really?! Any chance of a photo posted in this topic to show where it is in the fitting?

Tom
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Pre 1993 Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: One of a few pip top lamps!

Postby Tom » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:41 am

Scary stuff! Well, asbestos was pretty much the norm in the 60s! I guess other high powered wirewound resistors would have had it too! Ancient dimmer packs spring to mind!
I LOVE LAMP!

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:08 am

I'll try and attach a pic, never done so before so I'll probably bugger it up.

It worked. You can see the outer insulation is fibre glass but the inner is certainly chrysotile, it's not so easy to see in the pic though.
Attachments
DSCF3115.JPG

Paul
ATL Admin

Postby Paul » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:38 pm

Got me worried from when I had a Netaline and was messing around with it. What's the same resistor in the Light Ideas fitting like in comparison?

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:09 pm

I haven't looked at the light ideas in great detail but the resistive wire is inside a glass tube wrapped in fibre glass, I'll get it out later and have a proper look. I wouldn't worry that much really, it's white asbestos, okay it isn't safe but it's safer. I can't really remember much but I know white (chrysotile) has curly fibres, is magnesium based and does slowly get removed from the lungs. It's the blue and brown types that have needle like fibres, stay in the lungs for ages and do a lot of damage.

Paul
ATL Admin

Postby Paul » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:48 pm

That's not so bad then! Don't know too much about asbestos....

Danny
Favourite Manufacturer: GEC
Area of interest: Street lights fluorescent discharge
Oldest item: 120v 60w carbon lamp 1905

Postby Danny » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:40 pm

i put my netaline up in my sitting room a couple of months back, but i decided to take it down its in need of a restoration.... it has in the past been gloss painted over a good few times, will i be ok to use paint strippe?r, or will that also knacker up the original colour?, i just want the gloss paint off it as the previous owner must of smoked like a chimbney as its gone yellow, also the paint has dripped on it when its been done by the previous owner!! :(

Danny

Postby Danny » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:01 pm

Ok thanks for the info Amtrakuk, I will give this a try and be quite gentle with it, Mine has just been messily painted over, The whole thing has been painted, probably to try to make it look better, but from close up it looks awful.

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:14 pm

I found that the white 'spine' of the fitting cleans up very well just Jif and a scrubbing sponge, rub the Jif on with your fingers and leave it for 10 minutes first before scrubbing. Same goes for the coloured part, forget trying to salvage the enamel coating, I just sanded it down on my blue ones which were heavily chipped and scratched and sprayed them with a fresh coat of blue enamel paint.

Mine were almost black on top, no joke. All black and sticky from decades of tar and smoke deposits but cleaned up almost as good as new. The only problem was the smell, the stench of burning tar and dust which couldn't be cleaned out of the spine without risking damage to the resistor. The only thing to do was to hang them up in my shed and let them run for a couple of days to burn the smell off!

Danny

Postby Danny » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:22 pm

Ok thanks alot all, I will probably have a go at it this week, as I'm not busy at all this week, so hopefully I should get lots of stuff done :D

Yes mine was black as hell With grease, most of it I got off as I took out the resistor and bathed the fitting, then re-assembled it all.

neosodium
Area of interest: Low pressure gas discharge

Postby neosodium » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:18 pm

I have one of the Light Ideas fittings in a very poor state of repair, and today I decided to salvage any useful bits from it. There was no glass tube inside, just a high resistance wire wrapped in fibreglass braid. As I was removing the wire, it split at the end and fibrous material dropped out all over my trousers and the floor.

As you might imagine it was a bit of a worrying moment. I am hoping it is bunched fibreglass as opposed to asbestos as it has a shiny surface like the fibreglass braid.

I have only just finished cleaning it all up using sticky tape wrapped around my hand.

Danny

Postby Danny » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:25 pm

As far as i know the White fibres are Asbestos! btw Funny you should say that as today i have Started restoration on my Netaline by Sanding it down and making it nice & Smoothe, I did once or twice touch the resistor with my hands, I hope ill be ok (Should be)!... I used the hoover to hoover up any Mess from sanding the paint work... should i of used a bit of Sellotape?

Danny

f36t8
Area of interest: Mainly discharge lamps

Postby f36t8 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:12 pm

You can't be sure if something is asbestos or not just by looking at it. To be sure it need to be tested in a laboratory. If in doubt, treat the material as if it is asbestos.

Paul
ATL Admin

Postby Paul » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:38 pm

The light ideas fitting should be fine - IIRC they were made in the 1980's when I doubt asbestos would have been allowed. ;)

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:55 pm

Well white asbestos wasn't banned in the UK until 1999, for quite some time scientists believed it was safe, then they were saying it most certainly is not so it was banned. Now the latest evidence shows it isn't anywhere near as bad as they made it out to be and the HSE has known for some time! There's mixed reports but whatever, in most cases it takes long term heavy expose to develop asbestos related diseases so one Netaline is nothing to worry about.

As far as I know the Light Ideas are completely fibreglass insulated, there's no easy way to know just by looking although white asbestos usually has a rather rough look to it and is a more off white.

On a serious note, if anyone's going to develop asbestos related diseases it will probably be me, although still it's unlikely. I'm sure you'll be fine!

neosodium

Postby neosodium » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:50 pm

It didn't look like chrysotile, but it looked just like tremolite (seen here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... fibres.jpg)

It was in long bunches which snapped when pressure was applied rather than bending, giving the impression of small ceramic rods, which I thought it was until I looked closer and saw tons of fibres breaking off at the ends.

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:40 pm

Do you mean like this?

DSCF7285.JPG

That's refined amosite, with needle like fibred which will fracture when bent. Chrysotile is normally very flexible and can be woven into yarn etc without the fibres breaking. I should think what you've got is almost certainly fibre glass.

neosodium

Postby neosodium » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:18 pm

It definitely fractured when bent, but I assume that is a quality of fibreglass as well?

It was shinier than in that picture, looked just like the picture I posted which is why I thought it could possibly have been tremolite though I would have had to be very unlucky for it to have been.

Return to “Luminaires”