The Atlas Kitchen Light

Discussions about commercial and domestic lighting fittings and fixtures (not streetlighting).
SuperSix
Favourite Manufacturer: Fitzgerald
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Mercury Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: BTH 200W Carbon Filament Lamp

The Atlas Kitchen Light

Postby SuperSix » Thu May 12, 2011 10:04 am

This is something that's remained a mystery to me until now, what exactly is the Atlas Kitchen Light I've heard of a few times?
Well, Atlas's answer to the Netaline and it looks amazing! I found a photo at last, it appears to have a filament lamp in the end, presumably used as the ballast instead of just a resistor, I want one!!! :o

1308.jpg

Tom
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Pre 1993 Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: One of a few pip top lamps!

Re: The Atlas Kitchen Light

Postby Tom » Thu May 12, 2011 10:30 am

Wow!! What a funky fitting!! :D LOL How many Google pages did you trawl through to find this beauty? This must be what those 4 pin starter lamp combinations were used for!! Presumably available in a similar range of 'pretty' colours like the Netaline was! I wonder if Atlas did a circular fitting based on the same principle?? Yes it would be great to have one of these and install it, however I'd be too afraid of the ballast lamp failing!!
I LOVE LAMP!

Paul
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent battens and Thorn Vintage
Oldest item: 1890's Carbon Lamp

Postby Paul » Thu May 12, 2011 10:47 am

I suspect it has a resistive ballast like the Netaline... post the piccy in the gallery! ;-)

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Thu May 12, 2011 11:01 am

Well actually I just stuck 'Atlas Lighting Ltd' in the search box and it was on the first page, some education related site had it on there, presumably used for some art and design thing. I should think it had a similar range of colours to the Netaline. I'm not sure what lamp would be used for the ballast, hopefully (for the time when I do find one ;) ) it's just a standard BC holder in there and a 150W lamp which drives a 40W tube at pretty much bang on the rated current. I can't really see them fitting some obscure thing in there if it's a domestic fitting. The other option would be a the filament lamp being totally separate to the tube and just used to fill in the dark spot at that end which is a slight problem with the Netaline. A circular fitting of similar design would be nice, personally I'm more of a linear fluorescent person ;) .

Paul
ATL Admin

Postby Paul » Thu May 12, 2011 12:20 pm

I can't see the filament lamp anywhere.... is it in a different photo?

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Thu May 12, 2011 12:49 pm

Well you can't really see it but it's concealed in the red end. A couple of people have described these to me before but i never knew what they were until now. Apparently the lamp in the end throws additional light upwards.

Paul
ATL Admin

Postby Paul » Thu May 12, 2011 4:05 pm

Oh, I see, the red bit on the end is not enclosed on the top then.

Bluto
Favourite Manufacturer: Thorn Lighting
Area of interest: Everything esp cold cathode + neon signs etc

Postby Bluto » Wed May 02, 2012 1:06 pm

Im going to have to stop trying to reply to every post on here soon x lol x , but couldnt resist this one.

I am not sure exactly what lamp was used in these as the ballast , but they werent the only fittings to use a tungsten filament lamp as a ballast for a fluorescent lamp . Philips also made tungsten lamp ballasted fluorescent luminaires at one time that used a special 65 watt opal GLS ballast bulb , which had a 3-pin BC cap , to run a 5ft 65 watt lamp.

Approximately 21 years ago I used to work at Derby Tec (now Derby University). My job was a varied one , I used to make neon tubes and cold cathode tubes and all sorts of one-off spectral lamps and tubes for the physics and chemistry departments. I also used to look after much of the lighting along with the Electrician and caretakers , double as a security man at student balls , drive the trucks and coach , etc etc. (Such jobs dont exist anymore these days ,sadly !)
Anyway , there were several store rooms in which large quantities of lamps were stored. Some of the old stock was very old , old even back then , and dated back to the mid 50s when the place was built. There were all sorts of absolute gems stashed away in those store rooms (which I now regret not having "rescued" at the time ,and brought home) . There were all sorts of things , box quantities of Osglim neon beehive lamps (very old ones with pips on the top) , spare SO lamp arc tubes, brand new in packets , 80 and 125 watt "round" bulb pearl finish MB/Us , MAs , boxes and boxes of 80 watt BC 5ft tubes (which they actually still used then) - neon pygmys , boxes full of specially made 240 volt BC cap AR-1 argon glow lamps (used in the textiles department), "Robertson" carbon filament heat lamps and all sorts of other treasures.

Anyway , I digress x lol x! I remember this box full of curious (what I now know to be tungsten filament ballast lamps) . These lamps were Atlas brand and resembled a normal 60 watt GLS pearl finish bulb. EXCEPT , instead of a normal BC cap , these lamps had what looked exactly like an old large 4-pin metal-canister starter switch - AS THE CAP OF THE LAMP. I hope this description makes sense? I have never seen any of these lamps before or since and Ive never seen them used . I just remember this box of them in this old lamp store room years ago .
I suspect it is a good bet these were the ballast-lamp used in the Atlas Kitchen fluorescent fittings?? I dont know for sure , Im only guessing?
I wonder if any of you guys are familiar with or know these old 4-pin starter ballast-lamps and where they were used / what they were used in ?

Jeremy

johndom
Favourite Manufacturer: Atlas
Area of interest: Fluorescent mainly but everything really
Oldest item: 1940s fluorescent fittings

Postby johndom » Sat May 18, 2013 8:38 pm

Hi,
There's a forum here about it:
http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/show ... 586&page=8
Attached is a piccy!
John D