Fitzgerald LPF30 A bit rusty

Discussions about commercial and domestic lighting fittings and fixtures (not streetlighting).
Danny
Favourite Manufacturer: GEC
Area of interest: Street lights fluorescent discharge
Oldest item: 120v 60w carbon lamp 1905

Fitzgerald LPF30 A bit rusty

Postby Danny » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:31 am

A .little help required as yesterday I managed to get hold of a lovely Fitzgerald LPF30 80s T12 fitting for my coloured 3footers, Its rusty around the holes where it's been factory drilled, Rusty around the edges of the cover plate etc and the body edges... It was in a green house for a few years so also the white has gone a sort of yucky yellow, It used to be mine before i stupidly put it in there for him :roll: as back then i didnt realise how treasured they were and i only had one or two 3ft tubes that were EOL, but now its a bit rusty! and i have over 30 3ft tubes! most T12!

What can I do to get it looking good again? There doesnt seem to be much paint thats flaked off, Its Still there but starting to flake off

Dave
Favourite Manufacturer: Atlas - Old Thorn - GEC - Philips - Phosco
Area of interest: Everything

Re: Fitzgerald LPF30 A bit rusty

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:08 am

Imo, easiest thing is full strip down and repaint. if the paint was still on the fitting and not flaking i would've suggest heavy elbow grease with the brasso.

Tom
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Pre 1993 Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: One of a few pip top lamps!

Postby Tom » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Great news Danny! I've got some very slight rust on mine too around the starter hole and cover plate screws but nothing too drastic. Just some slight bubbling under the paint! I agree with Dave, give her a full respray! That 'Appliance White' spray paint should be ideal. Fitzies are terrible for yellowing under UV or strong sunlight. Very common with high hours fittings or even those with BLBs in them!

You may be able to remove the original blue Fitzgerald label if you gently warm it up with a hairdryer and peel away carefully. Stick it down flat onto some wax backing paper until needed! Failing that I think Eliot reproduced the labels on here which you can print off! ;)

Good luck mate and welcome to the T12 LP30 club! :woohoo
I LOVE LAMP!

Danny
Favourite Manufacturer: GEC
Area of interest: Street lights fluorescent discharge
Oldest item: 120v 60w carbon lamp 1905

Postby Danny » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:45 pm

Nice one Dave & Tom for your help I shall bring it up to scratch :)

Ash
Area of interest: Any electricity and computer tech

Postby Ash » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:04 pm

I have 8 2x40w and 1 1x40w lightpacks from 90-91. They were a bit dirty just from being in use and the 2x40w ones were a bit rusty from being submerged in water pooling in the skip after being trashed

I cleaned them up to look acceptable (not perfect) with just water and dish soap and scrubbing pad. A lot ofthe rust in my case was not rust showing up through the paint, but rust that streamed from a small hole on the very edge etc and dried on top of the paint. so its removed and only the actual damage is visible

A degreaser (oven cleaner) can help with some types of "yellowing"

Return to “Luminaires”