When Did BC go to Bi Pin?

Discussions about commercial and domestic lighting fittings and fixtures (not streetlighting).
Kev
Favourite Manufacturer: Atlas and CourtneyPope
Area of interest: Discharge and Fluorescent

When Did BC go to Bi Pin?

Postby Kev » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:29 pm

Gavs recent finds have got me thinking, when did Bi Pin fittings become the norm? I have come across 1961 5' fittings Bi Pin with normal 2 pin starters! I also used to have a BC Philips fitting with a normal 2 pin starter? Looking on eBay there appears to be a GEC advert that is dated 1958 but shows a Bi Pin fitting?
But does anyone know for sure?

Tom
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Pre 1993 Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: One of a few pip top lamps!

Re: When Did BC go to Bi Pin?

Postby Tom » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:14 pm

I'm guessing the 5' 80w BC to bi-pin crossover would've been late 50s. Looking at the old catalogues, we inherited the 4' 40w bi-pin tube from Uncle Sam shortly after WW2 with the 18" 15w, 2' 20w & 40w and 3' 30w following soon afterwards. I think early bi-pin fittings for these tubes would've used imported lampholders such as the tombstone type?

We've all seen old 2' 3' and 4' sisters of our old 5' BC fittings so I'd say this naturally led to 5' bi-pin with established production of all the shorter lamps.
I LOVE LAMP!

Kev
Favourite Manufacturer: Atlas and CourtneyPope
Area of interest: Discharge and Fluorescent

Re: When Did BC go to Bi Pin?

Postby Kev » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:06 pm

I'd probably put a date estimate on 1958 for the first 5' bi pin! We have known OTHER sizes of BC tube to be made such as that random 4' BC that was on eBay! There is that nice old Philips fitting I have that has a 4 pin starter!

Return to “Luminaires”